What do you guys think about this intro?

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
I post this here because I'm not asking for opinions on mix, tone or whatever, just on how you think this intro could sound for a live intro to our set? I put it together with the beginning of the opening song so you can get an idea how it's supposed to fit. The piano parts are actually copied from another song (second in the set), I like it that way, a reference to an actual song.

So, all opinions are appreciated!! my girl (the guitarist) hates it but she hates anything she hasn't been at least 80% involved in and this was all me, so....

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/954292/Intro%20Test.mp3

I tend to think of stage intros as a bit more bombastic if that sounds right - I think the piano part is to out front in the mix and detracts from the atmosphere you are trying to create, perhaps softening it a bit would help. I guess it all depends on the atmosphere you are going for - eerie and haunting, building anticipation, or something else. I always think of Metallica using "Ecstasy of Gold" as a perfect intro - it starts soft and builds to a triumphant ending - it calms the crowd and then builds them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD, the tuning on that piano :lol::lol::lol: Yeah, sorry dude, I see where you're going with it, but that to me sounds like the standard general MIDI grand piano tone, and without any sort of ambience (and the aforementioned tuning), yeesh :loco: Get a better piano tone, bring it back in the mix a bit (with ambience), and you're getting there!

Ooh, and the guitars just came in (and then promptly died :confused: ), and they sound strangely mono or something, weird phaseyness perhaps

Ooh, and the guitars just came in (and then promptly died :confused: ), and they sound strangely mono or something, weird phaseyness perhaps

oh yeah the mix of the song is bad, huge phase issues, it's pretty old and I knew very little about recording/mixing, that's why I didn't put this thread in the rate my mix, I want opinions on the intro and how it would fit in a live situation with the song, but the song will be played live, not that sucky mix haha

SlipkyesBass, I honestly busted out laughing when I heard the piano come in. Do away with that or fix it and you are set.

Respectfully.

FL Keys should burn in hell! >;/

As a keyboardist, guitarist and all-round musician i have to say that this intro sucks.. no offense, but it really does.
If you use a good & TUNED piano-sound, and make the piano melody 1-2 octaves higher, it might become really good instead.

Im an apprentice in a piano store here in Sweden, and im currently learning how to do setups and tuning pianos, so im frikkin' allergic to detuned pianos now days! :lol:
And you know when you hear those detuned "horror-flick pianos"? Thats actually a calculated temperation, thats why it sounds "evil" and not horrible! ;)

yeah you got it notuern, Fl Keys alright. so, who can reccomend me a good free piano vsti so I could fix that tone issue just right now?

and sorry and your welcome to all you guys (sorry as in sorry I posted such a horrible thing and your welcome for making you laugh), I don't know what happened to me, it is horrible hahaha I will post a new version of it in a while, so you can bash me some more haha

ps I really do appreciate all the honesty, you guys are great

Yeah the piano sounds pretty out of key man. You can actually make fruity loops piano samples sound pretty cool if you mess around with them long enough. I would work more on the composition and performance of the piano part.

I think he gets it Notuern ;)

Probably, but i gave him my input, and also a tip on how to improve it!
.. I didn't laugh him right up in the face and told him that his music isnt serious like some other people on this forum! :devil: ;) (TASTELESS JOKE)

yeah you got it notuern, Fl Keys alright. so, who can reccomend me a good free piano vsti so I could fix that tone issue just right now?

and sorry and your welcome to all you guys (sorry as in sorry I posted such a horrible thing and your welcome for making you laugh), I don't know what happened to me, it is horrible hahaha I will post a new version of it in a while, so you can bash me some more haha

CVPiano:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2897.html

And just to make it clear: I did NOT mean to "flame" you in any way.

Try to move that melody over to CVPiano, ad allot of reverb/sustainpedal, and make it really bright(2 octaves higher then what you have right now.), and i think it may sound really cool.

And if you want to "detune" your piano, make sure that the root note is 100% clean, and then make the other notes a little bit higher. if you make them lower its very like that you will get sour-notes instead of something thats just slightly dissonant.. thats if you want that "horror-flick piano". ;P

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably, but i gave him my input, and also a tip on how to improve it!
.. I didn't laugh him right up in the face and told him that his music isnt serious like some other people on this forum! :devil: ;) (TASTELESS JOKE)

Hahahaha, yeah, I deserved that one :D

notuern, no offense taken at all, as I said before I truly appreciate the honest criticism and didn't take it as a flame or insult or anything, and thanks a lot for that vsti, I'll try it right now

edit: I can't seem to find the link, the "download" button takes to some other part of the Tascam site, and I can't find the CVP there or on google

edit of an edit: nevermind, got it somewhere else after a detailed google search and the ability of speaking spanish, downloading

Hey man, I'm really digging on these vsti's at the moment, they've got a piano vst called - acoustik keyz and it sounds pretty good, as well as a whole host of free vsts for strings, brass, that sound comparitively very good for their size (usually 16-30mb each) and of course their price (free!)