Band is trying to raise money

I mean honestly, There's a 2% chance of it actually working, and us having to pay out of pocket but I guess it's evil to ask for support haha

its not evil to ask for support

its lazy and insulting to ask people who work hard, save & invest the money they've earned into upgrading their equipment/gear/etc ... many times forgoing things like vacations or partying for long stretches of time, just to have someone try and get some of that for free

what's next? Gonna say something like "hey support the scene man"?

fuck the scene. I've put my time into the scene, paid my dues to the scene, and been part of the scene for far longer than you I can pretty much guarantee. I did it without handouts or asking random people I don't know to give me their money. 9 times out of 10, if someone gave me money for something, they got something in return ... my performance, my album, whatever

you have the wrong attitude mate ... nothing wrong with promoting your facebook page or website, bandcamp, etc ... anything more than that you need to pay for it just like the rest of us have and continue to do

EDIT: I realize some of this may come across more harsh than I intended ... I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to get a point across

And in the end that's what we will have to do as well. I've done it. I've been there, I've paid for full length albums by myself. And like I said, it's not something for nothing. There's all kinda of shit you get if you donate. I don't expect it to work, and I'm putting my pennies away like a boy. But I thought "It couldn't hurt?" and obviously I was wrong haha.

"$100
A Cover Song of Your Choice!
By pledging $100, you get to choose a song for us to cover! We'll record an acoustic cover song of your choice, and we'll upload it to YouTube for you to share with all your friends! Also, you will receive the highest and most gracious thanks from each and every one of us. (this perk includes the PRERELEASE digital download of our EP a week prior to its release.)"

Okay I'm paying $100 bucks for you to cover this one : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwmee_les-doigts-de-l-homme-metal-hurlant_music !

I'm really turned off by the money begging thing as well but the truth is that non-musicians seem more willing to donate than to actually pay for records these days. We had a local band raise close to $30k here. And then there is Amanda Palmer.
The major difference between both of those examples and the OP is that they were tapping existing fans and people at shows rather than an unreceptive and mildly offended audience of strangers on a recording forum.

I'm really turned off by the money begging thing as well but the truth is that non-musicians seem more willing to donate than to actually pay for records these days. We had a local band raise close to $30k here. And then there is Amanda Palmer.
The major difference between both of those examples and the OP is that they were tapping existing fans and people at shows rather than an unreceptive and mildly offended audience of strangers on a recording forum.
Target audience calibration.

read: don't beg for money on one of the nerdiest musician-forums on the whole net.

I have been in music since the 80's. Spent thousands upon thousands on crap I don't have anymore.

I am also a quality manager, along the way I knew to keep me in cool gear, I would need a good paying job. About the only smart thing I did in life.

just barking up the wrong tree thats all... we have all spent ungodly amounts of money on equipment and recordings out of our own pockets and are not in the mood for charity unless its for a good cause (children, cancer, boobs etc.)

boobs you say? Theres a site just like kickstar or indiegogo where you can give money to random girls so they can get breast implants and shit lmao

Safely network with benefactors online and earn donations to help you achieve your cosmetic surgery goals.

THE FUCK :erk:

http://myfreeimplants.com/how-it-works

wtf? i can really picture that... "oh, that looks so wrong.. but also like a boob.. approved"

As I read this I was approving / controlling a new part schematic ....

and all I saw were boobs :D

you'd be surprised at how far my reach is ... many of you probably own certain things that bear my blessings

"literally"

*commence evil laugh*

boobs you say? Theres a site just like kickstar or indiegogo where you can give money to random girls so they can get breast implants and shit lmao

Safely network with benefactors online and earn donations to help you achieve your cosmetic surgery goals.

THE FUCK :erk:

http://myfreeimplants.com/how-it-works

My faith in humanity lost 100 points. Reminds me of "myfreecam" or something like that, where guys tip webcam girls as much as they want, and girls beg them to do so with different strategies ("at 1000 credits I will take a shower naked!!!"). Epic man neediness at its best