Bands like Opeth?

My own Gorath has got some Opeth influences, though it's more Satyricon inspired. Also P:407's new effort will be somewhat inspired by Opeth. I'll keep you informed here and post an Mp3 as soon as possible!

i like all of Ulver :)

mumblefood your suggestion only makes sense "in addition to" and not "instead of". if you like something, why not seek more of it? until the point of "too much of a good thing." i see no reason not to seek out bands similar to Opeth as well as bands very disimilar in search of new experiences, but there is no reason to rule out the former.

For the softer side of Opeth Try Bjork's Vespertine or Porcupine Tree's Lightbulb Sun or Deadwing or Jeff Buckley's Grace.

For the heavier side, Morbid Angel works pretty well.

Ive listned to Asgaut a bit, the track Glance Round Depature. They are okay, and almost an opeth rip-off, not that its a bad thing at all. Desillusion wasnt anything for me at all, too much metalcore/hardcore/melodic death metal or whatever you wanna call it.

Silent Song said:
i like all of Ulver :)

mumblefood your suggestion only makes sense "in addition to" and not "instead of". if you like something, why not seek more of it? until the point of "too much of a good thing." i see no reason not to seek out bands similar to Opeth as well as bands very disimilar in search of new experiences, but there is no reason to rule out the former.

well simply because there are no bands like Opeth. And you can get similar experiences from very different bands. I don't get how it doesn't make sense... did i not read the thread properly?

I think if you like opeth you will like agalloch also. Agalloch could be better that opeth. Cant wait to see what they do next. I rember thinking no one could top opeth or do what they do, then I heard agalloch and was like damn, these guys stepped that "atmosphere" up another notch...

shark22 said:
I think if you like opeth you will like agalloch also. Agalloch could be better that opeth. Cant wait to see what they do next. I rember thinking no one could top opeth or do what they do, then I heard agalloch and was like damn, these guys stepped that "atmosphere" up another notch...

just wait until you hear Raison d'Ete. :)

Hypnos said:
the ultimate rip-off would be April Ethereal from Poland. they even released an album called 'Advent' :lol:

but their best album is 'Al Azif' :D
unfortunately, now they change their style :(

/if you cannot find April Ethereal, contact me, I'll try to help :)

Aphotic seem to be mentioned in the same breath on several occasions as well.

I did get one of the CDs, but all I can remember about it at the moment was that one of the band was wearing an Opeth shirt in the picture.

I should dig it out again and give it a listen...