Bands Somewhat Like Opeth.

Jack Damien said:
Daylight Dies: This band has to be checked out! Their ALOT like Opeth, be it vocals or riffs. "No Reply" is great! I guess they would fit in Doom metal genre if any but still a great band.
but still a great band???

Are you implying here that doom metal isn't great or even good? If so, then die please :) ...There's even plenty of better doom metal then DD. Tho, Daylight Dies is still cool, they remind me more of Katatonia then Opeth however. :cool:

all i have to say is that chaveta WAS an ignorant mother Fucker but he realized that and now i hope he feels like an idiot. no offense. trust me everyone is ignorant. the first step is identifying it and the second is fixing it. i would also like to say that Evergray just really does not appeal to me. i think their singer has more of an 80's sound then a 70's sound which opeth does take after the 70's more. I will say though i have only heard one song (I'm Sorry) so i cant say my opinion counts. but based on that song that is how i feel.

simonc2 said:
I got Last fair deal gone down based on peoples reccomendations and its really boring. Why do so many Opeth fans like Katatonia, the newer stuff is plain and simply crappy alternative rock with the most annoying repedative choruses that get stuck in your head. No offence to katatonia fans, but I would have thought there newer stuff would appeal to pop rock fans. Maybe theres hidden suttleties that I haven't noticed yet.

Well, I suppose Katatonia~Sounds of Decay might sound a bit familiar cause Mike Akerfelt does the vocals on it. And their show together was great!!!(to short though)

Otherwise I hear some similaritys with bands, but youll have that.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Yes, Novembre get a thumbs-up from me. I want a forum, but nobody will support my thread in the UM Feedback forum. :erk:

The Mantle is a really good album by Agalloch, I agree.

Rapture and Daylight Dies are also very good, I haven't heard much Evergrey. Porcupine Tree.....well, their brilliance goes without saying.

You all doubtlessly already know of them, but I'd also recommend Katatonia. They aren't particularly similar to Opeth, but I don't think there's many Opeth fans who don't like Katatonia also. Plus, Mikael has performed on a couple of their albums, and is great friends with Jonas from Katatonia. I'm listening to them now, so they came to mind. :)

POST THE LINK TO THE NOVEMBRE FORUM THREAD EVERYWHERE! WE WILL NOT REST UNTIL NOVEMBRE RELATED DISCUSSION CAN BE HAD BY ALL! BATTLE STATIONS!

Jack Damien said:
Why is it "Death Metal" fans hate "Progessive Metal"? Prog takes an extreme amount of talent to create. Take Dream Theater for example, very few can play and match John Petrucci, very few can sing as well as James Labrie also. I'm not putting down anyone here, it's just a question. Good music is good music.

AAHHH!!!!!!

Petrucci. Yeah. He can play really really fast scales. and suck live. seen them twice.
Labrie? Jesus Christ put it this way, the second time I saw them I wore earplugs. That fat canadian hits more bum notes than uhh....

EVERYONE.

Trying to find bands similar to Opeth is futile. They can not be matched in terms of dynamics, contrasting brutal death metal with beautiful acoustic work. I always find myself being disapointed with bands that get compared to Opeth. Does anyone else agree?

@ethereal_light
I agree with that. But maybe the comparisons have something to do with the feeling the music gives you, not always the musical style... For example Porcupine Tree have similarities with Opeth in the feeling. Then some guy says it sounds like Opeth and others are dissappointed because it didn't have growls or brutal guitars mixed with beautiful acoustics and back again...

p.s. You should check out Farmakon. Might be some similarities except maybe a bit weirder form...
;)