Bands every Opeth fan should be exposed to.

Pain of Salvation....They write emotional music just like Opeth does.

Disillusion...Don't know if they've been mentioned already and their sound isn't the same as Opeth but I think that they are worth checking out.

NineFeetUnderground said:
because theyre really nothing special. that probably has something to do with it.

*gnawing-teeth mode
Haha, PoS are nothing special? Well, you've just won the prize for most ignorant listener of the year! Congrats to you!
*/gnawing-teeth mode

Well, as for recommendations of Opeth-like bands, I'd name Katatonia, Dark Suns, In Flames and Novembers Doom.

I don't really know why an Opeth fan would necessarily appreciate Necrophagist and Meshuggah. They play two very extreme, technical and unique styles which in my opinion totally rock, but I just don't see any correlation with Opeth.

I can't imagine, back when I was in Opeth-rocks-the-world mentality, why I would have appreciated Necrophagist.

Moonlapse said:
I don't really know why an Opeth fan would necessarily appreciate Necrophagist and Meshuggah. They play two very extreme, technical and unique styles which in my opinion totally rock, but I just don't see any correlation with Opeth.

I can't imagine, back when I was in Opeth-rocks-the-world mentality, why I would have appreciated Necrophagist.
I did notice that both of those bands are extreme and technical. I tried to think of bands that create an intensity and sometimes a dynamic in heaviness similar to that which Opeth creates...as well as awesome bands that an Opeth listener might end up enjoying for one reason or another. Stylistically the bands I mentioned are very different, but they are excellent, and are fitting for the thread topic, I'd say.

(Also -- I had to add Diabolical Masquerade.)