bands similar to Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus

ohiogrinder

New Metal Member
Mar 15, 2006
I'm looking for similar bands, but don't recommend me old Swede death, cause I already listen to that stuff. I'm looking for bands similar to the first two records by Amorphis. slightly folky, viking themes a plus, scuzzy buzzy guitar riffs (Sunlight Studios style production), can have either all harsh vocals or a mix of harsh and cleans.

By Thyrfing my favorite album is probably 'Valdr Galga' or 'Farsotstider'. I guess if you like Thyrfing and haven't heard them then you should check out Moonsorrow 'Kivenkantaja' is the album I listen to most by them.

Thyrfing, Finntroll and Moonsorrow are all really good folk/black metal bands, but they have a distinctly different sound from early Amorphis. Where I can see similarities in Thyrfing, Finntroll and Moonsorrow, I really see very few in Amorphis; and yet, those are the only bands I can really come up with. I guess I'd say that comparing early Amorphis to these bands can really help a listener to distinguish between the traits of death metal and black/folk metal. They're similar in the folk aspect, but not in the delivery of the music.

That probably doesn't help at all. Decide for yourself.

Not folky, but maybe you might want to check out Infernal Gates - From the Mist of Dark Waters. It's somewhat like Amorphis with the Death and Doom but it's not really folky. Great album nonetheless.

lmao percentage-wise?

higher content of songs I like and love.

I do like some songs on Thyrfing, Urkraft, and Valdr Galga, but if I have to pick one album it may as well be one with 'twice as many songs I love' as one of these.

I won't here disagree with the one anyone else recommends.

Yeah, I'm...really failing to try to think of ANYTHING remotely similar to early Amorphis!

word. just listened to a few favorites from that album ("Black Embrace", "The Gathering", and "Warrior's Trial") and couldn't think of shit that was mid-tempo death metal with a middle-eastern tip.

Bolt Thrower is about the closest thing I've heard, sadly. :oops:

Speaking of finnish dm, I have heard that term alot lately but I only really know about early Amorphis and early Sentenced. Any other band I should check out?
/threadjacking deluxe

Speaking of finnish dm, I have heard that term alot lately but I only really know about early Amorphis and early Sentenced. Any other band I should check out?
/threadjacking deluxe

Yeah man, definitely check out these:

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Demilich - Nespithe
Belial - Gods of the Pit pt. II / Wisdom of Darkness
Cartilage - The Fragile Concept of Affection
Adramelech - Psychostasia
Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation
Depravity - Silence of the Centuries
Mordicus - Dances From Left
Disgrace - Grey Misery
Funebre - Children of the Scorn
Mythos - Pain Amplifier
Vomiturition - Headtales / A Leftover

I think I might actually like Finnish death metal more than Swedish. Definitely in terms of quality over quantity.

Demigod, Amorphis, and Adramelech have a darker sound than, say, Dismember, Entombed, and Unleashed (not to say that those bands don't have a "dark" sound but I think Finland pulls it off better).