Bands that surprised you

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
How about a shout out to any of the bands you thought wouldn't interest you but actually kick some big 'ol ass. Either metal or non, but preferably some stuff that is REALLY different from what you normally like. Anything you had reservations about and now dig.

Right now I'm listening to Live at Blue Cat Blues from Los Lonely Boys and it absolutely :kickass: 's. I don't know how their studio output is, but I know the "Heaven" song is not at all a fair representation of how talented these duders are. They can absolutely PLAY and the know how to play the blues. This was before they "got big" and that one song became a hit. Just a small show at a small venue, by a band playing their guts out and laying it all on the line. This is really good stuff and I recommend you folks check it out, especially if you see it used or something, take the chance.

Swans

Never really thought they'd interest me too much until I checked out some stuff other than Great Annihilator. Turns out they rule.

The Killing Tide > Let Us Prey > Lex Talionis > In The Rain > In A Garden Green > Trees In Winter > Sol Veritas Lux > The Hill Of Crosses > The Devil's Steed

Opeth17 said:
Right now I'm listening to Live at Blue Cat Blues from Los Lonely Boys and it absolutely :kickass: 's. I don't know how their studio output is, but I know the "Heaven" song is not at all a fair representation of how talented these duders are. They can absolutely PLAY and the know how to play the blues. This was before they "got big" and that one song became a hit. Just a small show at a small venue, by a band playing their guts out and laying it all on the line. This is really good stuff and I recommend you folks check it out, especially if you see it used or something, take the chance.

Yeah, LLB are really f'n good. I've got a couple of their releases and seen them at some late night show. Really good musicians playing some great blues. :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Yeah, my old man has a few Los Lonely Boys albums, and they are really suprisingly good. Then again, I'm a huge SRV fan, so...

Also, not to sound gay, Porcupine Tree, when I first heard them around March of this year, suprised the hell out of me, since I am typically not to fond of that style of music.

Darkestrah as well. Very suprisingly awesome, in my opinion.

Between the Buried and Me *ducks*
I hate metalcore with a burning passion, and had always assumed these guys would be metalcore, especially with that ridiculous name, but the other day I found a copy of "All Bodies" from Alaska on my computer, and damnit, I LIKE it! A lot in fact.
Anyway I assume I am not the only one, anyone wanna Yousendme some more? :)

Colour Haze

I might try to inverstigate a little further to know if this was only an exception though.

Agalloch.

I had heard a few samples a few months ago and didn't really care for them. Just recently I heard "Ashes Against the Grain" and I can't get that shit out of my head. I am listening to it right now in fact. I guess you really have to hear entire songs or even better entire albums to enjoy these guys. Samples just won't do. After listening to the album I am suprised how much I love it.

uh...morbid angel. i remember hearing some back in the day and going "wtf is that music" and of course they rule

MajestikMøøse said:
The Killing Tide > Let Us Prey > Lex Talionis > In The Rain > In A Garden Green > Trees In Winter > Sol Veritas Lux > The Hill Of Crosses > The Devil's Steed
where can i find ANY OF THESE ALBUMS plz

Night Mare said:
Between the Buried and Me *ducks*
I hate metalcore with a burning passion, and had always assumed these guys would be metalcore, especially with that ridiculous name, but the other day I found a copy of "All Bodies" from Alaska on my computer, and damnit, I LIKE it! A lot in fact.
Anyway I assume I am not the only one, anyone wanna Yousendme some more? :)

Mordecai, from The Silent Circus.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...&key=65c47fb2eb6434c39666f3b800e6d80ce8692ab0