Bands you think people should check out

booB said:
Regarding Deliverance... I think the Xian thrash band is well-known and well-liked within thrash circles. Now, the OTHER Deliverance, on the other hand... I doubt any of you have ever heard of them. They're a UK power metal band, not Christian or religious at all as far as I know. They sound like shit, but they're awesome. :)

Actually, that surprises me that you think they're well known. Maybe they are, but that's how I thought of them. I know of the UK Deliverance that you're speaking of, but I haven't heard their music.

Palabra de Dios said:
I don't understand the 'negative' connotation with Christian metal bands.

Bands like Crimson Thorn, Lengsel, Paramaecium, Divinefire, etc., all kick ass in their own genres (death, black, doom, power, respectively here).

Palabra, I don't think anyone was implying anything negative. I simply think the band was very talented, so I wanted some folks to check them out on this forum if they didn't know who they were.

anybody here you don't know is worth at least a few songs.

Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Epica, Iced Earth, Dream Evil, Tad Morose, Falconer, Brainstorm, Stratovarius, Freedom Call, Hammerfall, Helloween, Edguy, Luca Turilli, Domain, Kamelot, Finntroll, Dragonforce, Raintime, Gamma Ray, Sacred Reich, Dio, Nocturnal Rites, Rainbow, Drakkar, Accept, Queensryche, Vision Divine, Warlock, Angel Witch, Imperanon, Silver Mountain, Kalmah, Firewind, Bloodbound, Savage Circus, Jorn, Persuader, Nightrage, Mystic Prophecy, Odins Court, Angel Dust, Metal Church, Pain Of Salvation, Metallica, Ensiferum, Nightwish, Angra, Stormgarde, Wolfcry, Dragonlord, Holy Dragons, Symphony X, Morgana Lefay, Megadeth, Demons And Wizards, Mercyful Fate, Dragonland, Manticora, Blackmore's Night, Tesla, Mercenary, Tarot, Orphaned Land, Nevermore, Skid Row, Wind Wraith, Intense, Yngwie Malmsteen, Highlord, Shaman, Rhapsody, Pantera, Motorhead, Fates Warning, Rage, Savatage, Evergray, Into Eternity, Testament, Saxon, Overkill, Judas Priest, Synesthesia, Riot, Bruce Dickinson, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Human Fortress, Magistral, Pagans Mind, Annihilator, Elvenking, Labyrinth, Vanden Plas, Lost Horizen, Masterplan, Dark Empire, Aquaria, Symphorce, Jag Panzer, Adromeda, Thunderstone, Pyramaze, Dark Tranquility, Dream Theater, Kings-X, Anthrax.

I once read a review for a CD (I believe the band was Phlebotomized) where the reviewer said (and I paraphrase) "After the first listen I was like 'this rules, this is amazing,' then I read the lyrics and found out they're a fucking white metal Christian band. Fuck that. This band sucks."

Not implying that anyone on this board has this mentality, but this is so lame. Lyrical content NEVER dictates the quality of a bands music, in my opinion. If Circus Maximus' next album was a concept album dedicated to their love of riding lawn mowers, I'd still buy it no question. See what I mean?

No-Mercy said:

Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Epica, Iced Earth, Dream Evil, Tad Morose, Falconer, Brainstorm, Stratovarius, Freedom Call, Hammerfall, Helloween, Edguy, Luca Turilli, Domain, Kamelot, Finntroll, Dragonforce, Raintime, Gamma Ray, Sacred Reich, Dio, Nocturnal Rites, Rainbow, Drakkar, Accept, Queensryche, Vision Divine, Warlock, Angel Witch, Imperanon, Silver Mountain, Kalmah, Firewind, Bloodbound, Savage Circus, Jorn, Persuader, Nightrage, Mystic Prophecy, Odins Court, Angel Dust, Metal Church, Pain Of Salvation, Metallica, Ensiferum, Nightwish, Angra, Stormgarde, Wolfcry, Dragonlord, Holy Dragons, Symphony X, Morgana Lefay, Megadeth, Demons And Wizards, Mercyful Fate, Dragonland, Manticora, Blackmore's Night, Tesla, Mercenary, Tarot, Orphaned Land, Nevermore, Skid Row, Wind Wraith, Intense, Yngwie Malmsteen, Highlord, Shaman, Rhapsody, Pantera, Motorhead, Fates Warning, Rage, Savatage, Evergray, Into Eternity, Testament, Saxon, Overkill, Judas Priest, Synesthesia, Riot, Bruce Dickinson, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Human Fortress, Magistral, Pagans Mind, Annihilator, Elvenking, Labyrinth, Vanden Plas, Lost Horizen, Masterplan, Dark Empire, Aquaria, Symphorce, Jag Panzer, Adromeda, Thunderstone, Pyramaze, Dark Tranquility, Dream Theater, Kings-X, Anthrax.

Alright...that's just a little fucking annoying...

Palabra I'm right there with ya regarding the Christian metal bands. I never understood why people make a big deal about it. I know that no one here on this thread was saying anything negative, in fact that was quite refreshing!

And speaking of the Xian band Deliverance, I'd put them on this list of bands people ought to check out! Go for the album "A Decade Of..." since it's a best-of comp. Be warned, they like to mix in some comedy ;)

Otherwise, allow me to continue being a being a cheerleader for Hubi Meisel.
Start with "EmOcean" and then hop to "Kailash" his latest release. Don't read the lyrics or pour over the booklet on the first listen. Just listen. He creates an environment that is so intense, if you just pay attention. Kinda like Arjen Lucassen with Aryeon - he creates the music and hires musicians to actualize the performance. Hubi's music might be a little slow and boring for some of you, but I'm certain you'll be able to see the technical and creative talent in his writing.

hubimeisel.com

No-Mercy said:

I simply must check out this "Iron Maiden".

No-Mercy said:

Freedom Call, Domain, Finntroll, Sacred Reich, Drakkar, Imperanon, Silver Mountain, Kalmah, Firewind, Persuader, Nightrage, Mystic Prophecy, Ensiferum, Stormgarde, Wolfcry, Holy Dragons, Tarot, Wind Wraith, Intense, Highlord, Synesthesia, Human Fortress, Elvenking, Dark Empire, Aquaria,

There.. that's better!
:Smokedev:

i´m going to self-steal my answer from the complex music thread, because the answer is the same...

Unexpect! :worship: :worship:

Ever since We, Invaders! took me by surprise at the beginning of the year (including Novae becoming one of my all-time top 10 songs), and then with In a Flesh Aquarium firmly sitting at the top of my discs of the year... there has not been a single band I want to see more play live (from the videos I have seen... they are amazing live too!)

This is how i like my music... complex, different, giving me something new... plus masterfully written...

So for the ones who haven't heard them... this is more less how I would describe them (although I just recomend to listen to their cd)....

Symphonic Mr. Bungle meets Arcturus meets DEP meets Therion meets death,black,thrash meets any music genre you can think of (in the last record it includes tango :Smokin: ) www.unexpect.com