Barren Earth for ProgPower XIII

Mosquito

oh noes!!
Jan 23, 2002
Columbia, SC, USA
www.myspace.com
I have never before made a "X for ProgPower Y" post, however I feel that this band should play the show. I know there was a topic already from Glenn regarding Barren Earth, but that was back in March and their full-length has been released since that point. I also had the chance to see them perform live at Tuska, so that gives me some idea of how they stand in a live setting.

First of all, obligatory link to the first Barren Earth post:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/572720-barren-earth.html

Quick Description:
Amorphis (Old) meets Opeth, Swallow the Sun, meets Awesome.

This makes even more sense when you know the members of the band, which are ex-amorphis (tales era), swallow the sun vocalist, and moonsorrow guys.

If you already enjoy any of those bands, you will probably enjoy this. I feel that they would fit in the show based on the fact that Amorphis made it across the pond a few years ago, and it is my understanding that there were attempts to get Opeth as far back as ProgPower II.

While they have a sound reminiscent of all of those bands, I should make it a point that they still have their own vibe.

In regards to their live show, I was really interested to see them and they were one of the bands I looked forward to the most. But I knew they had their other bands and that they had only played a scant few shows before this one. I was extremely impressed with them though. And while the venue they played in wasn't the best setup (a tent), they still had a great mix and the tone was perfect. While not the most physically energetic band by any means, their emotional energy still hit everyone. I know some friends and I were all in agreement that they were one of the best of the whole festival.

I'm going to link two songs from the tubes. One has more of the clean vocals on it, the other has a lot more fun instrumentation.

The Leer:

Curse of the Red River:

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I have to assume that Glenn has already booked all bands for PP XII, so I feel it would be pointless to suggest anything for XII if I actually want the band to make it.

...and to confuse those that have issues with the roman numerical system.

Cool band ... one of my favorite discs of the year. I'd sure like to see them at PP at some point. They remind of all the bands you mentioned. Top shelf stuff.

They kind of sound like Amorphis would if Pasi, and Tomi J. were both in the band at the same time. The clean vox remind a bit of Pasi.

Britt

Looks like a great tour. Too bad the NYC show is at the Gramercy. Ugh. Still, will probably go. Intrigued by BE. Would like to see them live.

The crazy part about that tour is that I posted this only an hour before it was announced. Brian messaged me about it and said he had heard it through the grapevine so this is pretty funny.

Also, at Tuska I spoke with one of the Finntroll guys explaining that it really sucked that they never get to the southeat and then I explained the geography of the situation which he already understood. He did say that they were doing an end of the year/beginning of 2011 tour that was supposed to kick off in Florida and that there should be one or two other dates. Looks like I'll have Atlanta, Raleigh, and Charlotte to choose from. Might do all three! We'll see how I feel.

I still stand behind my push for them for ProgPower though.

I would like to see this band at ProgPower too.

I am hope, hope, HOPING that I can catch that Finntroll tour in Tulsa. It is tough for me to go to shows in the middle of the week with work nowadays (I start work at 4:15am)!!!