Barren Earth

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
A friend of mine recommended them to me. I checked out the ep and found myself enjoying the early Amorphis/Opeth vibe:

Full length debut, "Curse of the Red River," comes out at the end of the month on Peaceville.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mixed by Swano. Great stuff. I haven't heard the whole E.P. yet though. Thanks on the update for when it comes out.

The old bass player from Amorphis (Olli Pekka-Laine) and the drummer from Moonsorrow are in this band. The band itself is Olli's.

I really like the 4-song ep they put out last year as a calling card

So, it sounds like this is a "supergroup" of sorts. I like Swallow The Sun, Amorphis, and Moonsorrow. No wonder this works! :headbang:

~Brian~

Cool, I've been meaning to check this out. And I can't believe no one yet has also mentioned this is the new band of Kasper Martenson, the dude who wrote Black Winter Day!!!

My only problem is that this band isnt as good as Swallow the Sun, Opeth or Amorphis. I still greatly prefer what the other bands are doing over this, which to me just soudns like Swallow the Sun

My only problem is that this band isnt as good as Swallow the Sun, Opeth or Amorphis. I still greatly prefer what the other bands are doing over this, which to me just soudns like Swallow the Sun

I'm digging it ... reminds me a bit of Amorphis if both Pasi (former singer) and Tomi (current singer) were in the band at the same time. You've got the growls, and the warm/clean singing style of Pasi to be found on several tracks.

I also like the diversity .. I'm reminded in some songs of Opeth . others Swallow The Sun .. others Novembers Doom .. others Amorphis.

All in all I think it's a strong disc .. bought it the other day on Itunes. I'm on my fourth of fifth listen .. it's going to be a strong contender for me in top disc in 2010.

Britt