bass di to midi?

marios.blythe

Jul 30, 2011
hello guys is there any way except autotune or melodyne to make my bass di into midi?i don't have time to ''program'' the midi so i want an easyer way..thanks in advance!

ps: sorry for my english!

How do you not have time to program the notes? A song takes me 20 minutes tops, and that's without having the guitarist in front of me for reference. Also, programming bass should not have to be a thing if you already have a bass guitar. This whole using MIDI bass outside of prepro and writing is getting out of hand.

But to answer your question, most plugins can't register and read bass notes well at all, so I think you might br out of luck.

Reaper users: ReaTune, Click the checkbox for sending MIDI on each new note. Send to new track with record armed and midi input selected. May have problems for bass, if that is the case, increase window size to 50 ms.

If the DI is clean enough you can use melodyne to tune the bass line, I believe its common practice for a few guys here...

I do it on virtually every bassline I mix. I know a ton of other guys who do too; Sam Pura comes to mind and he gets incredible natural sounding tones on all his records but melodynes bass 100%.

Melodyne can also spit out MIDI info; something to keep in mind.

Hey Jeff, how do you deal with Melodyne shifting stuff around? Drove me nuts last time I tried so I just stuck to the traditional compression riding deal.

Hey Jeff, how do you deal with Melodyne shifting stuff around? Drove me nuts last time I tried so I just stuck to the traditional compression riding deal.

You mean as far as timing, screwing up edits? I generally tune after comping takes these days, but before editing them for timing. I also use the standalone app for tuning bass (super easy; import wav, cmd+a, tune 100%, listen through once, export wav) which seems to help a lot with the timing issue.

I've always tuned vocals before timing them, seems to make sense with bass as well.

get someone to play the bass lines on a midi keyboard.

You mean as far as timing, screwing up edits? I generally tune after comping takes these days, but before editing them for timing. I also use the standalone app for tuning bass (super easy; import wav, cmd+a, tune 100%, listen through once, export wav) which seems to help a lot with the timing issue.

I've always tuned vocals before timing them, seems to make sense with bass as well.

I gotcha, yea, I meant timing. I haven't used the standalone though. May have to work towards that. Did the standalone give you any problems with timing?

Exactly how it should be done :) I tune after comping takes, and before editing. Tune Export Wav then do my edits.