Bass Distortion plugins

sharkfistsound

New Metal Member
Aug 14, 2011
Hey guys I've always used my mxr m80 pedal to grab the overdrive i'd like on my bass, this time around though I opted to record it clean and take care of that in post. Any plugin suggestions for getting a nice growly bass sound? Freeware is a plus but I'm open for anything.
tHANKS!

also, the bass was recorded through an swr 4x10 cab and a vintage acoustic 4x12 bass cab, sm57 on the 4x10 and the SM7B on the 4x12 cab, and then also a d.i.

I know this thread is about bass distortion PLUGINS but I have to say that the best bass distortion pedal I've ever heard was the Darkglass Electronics Microtubes B3K. Crank the drive, switch the "attack" on and use the blend to get a nice and crunchy but still defined bass sound.

Pluginwise for distortion I use a TS sim EQ'd pretty hard (take the lows and some 600-700 Hz off) with a cab IR (mostly 8x10 Ampeg). The dry signal provides the lows and the punch.

i've never heard a bass od plugin i have ever liked.

+1 on the bk3... i have two of them!

but the best bass od i have ever heard in my life comes from the cms svd-100

I know this thread is about bass distortion PLUGINS but I have to say that the best bass distortion pedal I've ever heard was the Darkglass Electronics Microtubes B3K

Because Attack! Attack! uses it? ;)

aa.png

I got you there, didn't I?

Last edited by a moderator:
this is probably extremely n00bish of me but are you using the pedals into an amp or just pedal->interface and if so how do you go about recording the clean bass di as well?

I feel retarded for asking this, its always confused me though.

and so not to completely threadjack I really like the darkglass one I think I might have to get it, sounds great.

this is probably extremely n00bish of me but are you using the pedals into an amp or just pedal->interface and if so how do you go about recording the clean bass di as well?

I feel retarded for asking this, its always confused me though.

and so not to completely threadjack I really like the darkglass one I think I might have to get it, sounds great.

Bass -> DI -> pedals -> DI -> Amp -> Mic

I like Sansamp PSA-1. Proco Rat sims (POD Farm or Massey THC) are good too.

Also not a plug in but I've had good results running bass into a Peavey XXX hooked up to a bass cabinet.

I love the stock sans amp plug that comes with PT, that or the RAT sim in Podfarm. These days I'm just micing up the old 5150 though, more fun :)