Bass distortion: Sansamp ect

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
I need a real bass distortion box....sick of plugins. What's the hot ticket these days? Looking at the Tech 21 Bass Driver atm.

The B7k looks interesting, kind of pricey but if it really sounds that good. The Nolly clip (live clip) is a poor representation IMO because there is more going on with that dirt than that pedal if I recall correctly from his rig rundown.

Anyhow, I wish that fucker wasn't so hard to get a hold of.

I'm really liking my VT Bass, it's more an SVT sim, but you can get a wide range and I think the more recent version comes default with a cab-sim bypass switch. I find it covers the dirty amp tone I like, usually anything more I want something different like fuzz, my favorite one atm is the Maleko Diabolic

http://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/diabolik/

I own the sansamp bass driver and the b7k. Totally different characters but both are useful. If you want a straight up distortion and not just a bit of amp grit the b7k is better. I also really dig the rat on bass although it's obviously a lot less flexible.

I've got a Darkglass B3K, a Sansamp RBI and a Pro Co Rat. All have their uses. If you just want a bit of drive on your sound, I'd go for the Sansamp, if you want a fuzzy sound, then the Rat is great and for everything else, there's Darkglass!

Got some pretty cool sounds with the Rat into the RBI.

I have a Rat King from Fuzzrocious pedals that I use live and in the studio all the time. They have a smaller, more compact Rat Tail. It's basically a pro co rat designed to work well with bass.

Sansamp PSA 1,1 all the way man if you want a preamp.
Sansamp bass driver pedals are also great.
EBS also does the job

I have zoom ms-60b which does an excellent sansamp sim and many other things, MXR M80 which I love and a Warwick Tubepath 5 head which is also great.
Never bonded with the "metallic" drive sound of a sansamp.
I used to have a Hartke bass driver that was very good but got rid of it once I got the MXR.

I would recommend the MXR M80 to anyone getting a single bass di/ preamp for recording. Superb clean sound and really good drive with blend option and gate.

Depending on what flavour you need:

Sansamp GT-2
Turbo Rat
James LoMenzo Ashdown Hyperdrive
Sansamp VT Bass

I see the sansamp more as a tone shaper than as a distortion unit. I'd be inclined to look into guitar stompboxes for cool distortion

I've had good luck with the Fulltone OCD as a general-purpose bass distortion. The ol' Boss HM-2 has come in handy on occasion as well.

Since I got Jaymz' profiles of the B7K for my Kemper, I haven't touched my Sansamp BDDI. The Darkglass just seems to work better on a bigger variety of basses, than the Sansamp does.