Bass Distortion

AStacy2

May 19, 2006
Ohio
Hey guys, I use Sonar5 PE and I was wondering maybe a plugin that you guys would reccomend for putting a little bit of distortion on a previously recorded bass DI track?

Thanks!

HexTheNet said:
Hey guys, I use Sonar5 PE and I was wondering maybe a plugin that you guys would reccomend for putting a little bit of distortion on a previously recorded bass DI track?

Thanks!

amplitude
guitar rig

chadsxe said:
amplitude
guitar rig
I'll second the Guitar Rig suggestion, it's got some good pedal models to use for some subtle distortion, don't know if it works as well for extreme distortion as I don't really go for that type of sound on a bass.

I agree that Guitar Rig rules for that. I also highly recommend Nigel if you have a UAD-1 card, for subtle and not-so-subtle distortion and FX.

Incidentally, my random suggestion that Devildriver use Nigel on the opening bass riff of "Grinfucked" from their latest disc has apparently resulted in a lot of their fans asking "how the fuck did you get that evil sound?" which is always a good thing.

HexTheNet said:

Thanks!

My pick:
Voxengo Boogex (free)

Why ?
Because it can be set to distort only highs without touching the lows - distorted lows sound like shit.

btw. Click here for a big list of virtual amp sims and distortions.

Hey, I just ot GuitarRig and it's pretty cool, I usually never check out many plugins but this one seems like it has a lot of options. I'm tweaking the "Heavy Distorted Bass" preset a little bit and mixing that with my DI signal.
It sounds pretty good but it's not working to well with the guitar just yet though, still need to work on it a little bit. What are some of you guys' favorite settings for distorted bass on a metal track?