bass guitar advice

martyfireball

myspace.com/studioferox
Sep 5, 2003
belfast, UK
www.myspace.com
Hi Guys, I'm looking to pick-up a decent...but cheapish bass for demoing/recording stuff at home (i'm a guitarist BTW). I have a cheap 5 string but i'm tuned to D at the moment so want to go for a 4-string with heavy strings.
A quick search shows lots of sub £200 Yamaha, squires etc. although I don't really have a budget and will pay more if I really need to.
Any advice?

call me a stickler for keeping things simple but..............

active pickups just work really well for metal bass imho, and warwick make some good mid-level 4 and 5 string basses (called rock bass, or rock series I think)

I've got the 5 string version with the actives, that through a nice compressor or even via sansamp bass d.i is a really simple and decent sounding rig.

Is Squire p-bass lyte what they now call the one they used to call Fender precicion lyte? I had one of those but unfortunately i had to sell it when i bought a new bass. They're excellent basses, sound good and are extremely easy to play. I think that one would be optimal for a guitarist...

hey soulfracture, i see you played with viseral bleeding and condemned recently. Condemned are real good buds of mine...infact i just recorded their EP they had with them on that tour. It's a small world.