Bass "popping".

Vicioushead

Jan 29, 2012
Ireland
No, not a thread about slap technique :)

I always have this issue with bass. The transients, especially at the beginning of a phrase sorta pop louder than other parts.

I am recording direct, not using any amp sim but am using one of the impulses included with recabinet. It is compressed heavily with a high ratio (15/1) with a fast attack and medium release.

Here is a clip of what I mean:

The little unison line at 0.16 seconds has a little "pop". Is there a way to eliminate this kind of thing? Please excuse my lack of knowledge...I am still pretty new to this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean.
That problem occurs often with fingerstyle. I think it's a poblem with cheaper basses/pickups.
Distortion helps and also a lower lowpass filter. Retracking is also an option, sometimes the bassist isn't tight enough to control the dynamics.

I played on this myself using a pick. I can't really think that I'd be picking harder on one or more notes. Tis entirely possible though :)

^ thats just a technique issue really ... of course you'll be picking harder on some notes, especially the ones at the beginning of a passage .. its like a singer starting out a little sharp on a new phrase

honestly though, I heard nothing that bothered me and I'm pretty critical with bass :)

The suggestion to try adding a little distortion and maybe messing with the EQ a little is not bad either but it all depends on the sound you're going for

If it bothers you that much just see if you can find the offending sound with EQ, notch it out and compare

You might be able to set up a limiter just to catch those peaks, overall i'm not hearing anything that's going to kill your bass tone come mix time though.

Too much gain reduction and too fast attack. I'd suggest switching to a limiter if you want to crush the dynamics. A popular way of doing that is using a 1176-style compressor -> LA2A compressor.

l1ultramaximiser.jpg

I heard exactly what you're talking about and something like that I'd just retrack and get it sounding better right off the bat. I personally hate when notes pop out like that.

I find passive single coils tend to emphasize the effect. They love to peak and fart out the moment you play with any kind of conviction. If you use a set of 40DCs, they'll naturally compress the tone for you and get someway closer to a finished product.

For everything else there's the L1.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm not sure if I want to squash the dynamics out completely, I'm following the advice of someone else who said that it would be best to keep the bass track from being too uneven.

I'll tinker with it some more and see what happens.

Fader automation, Andy Wallace style.

I got to watch Andy mix the Descendents album, "Everything Sux" in 96. He ran both bass signals from tape to a neve 10?? eq at 40 hz boosted all the way. Then this went into the board, pre compression and eq. He seemed to focus his eq on the bass around 200 to 300. The biggest thing that he did with the bass was to automate every note, so the bass was always there. Sometimes leaning on the di, or sometimes the amp whatever would make the bass react and sit the way he wanted. The faders were moving like mad! It was quite a pleasure watching him. He was a super nice guy too!

Source: Jason Livermore, The Blasting Room Ft Collins, CO

^^

that there would make my brain explode through my skull and into the next room!!

Except doing this on console is more quick and fun than what everyone think to be. You can almost do it on one broad pass per section and fine tune on 2/3 pass.

Mikaël-ange;10378147 said:
Except doing this on console is more quick and fun than what everyone think to be. You can almost do it on one broad pass per section and fine tune on 2/3 pass.

Exactly. And if you don't have a console with automation, one can perform automation moves via smartphone or tablet apps on their touchscreens.

Automation on single tracks before compression is a game changer. Automating groups/busses for movement in the arrangement is where it's at.