bass recording DI via amp question

theNeologist

Apr 3, 2009
i am looking to record bass guitar and i would like to use the sound i can get from either my peavy bass max 600 or Ampeg B2RE.

I have an Mbox2 and Pro Tools 8.

I briefly tried the following setup yesterday, but I could not get any signal coming out of the headphones:
-Bass guitar connected to Amp (input)
-Amp connected to Mbox2 via XLR

am I doing something wrong? I have a feeling I am jsut doing something stupid. Any ideas or tips?

i need to double check that when i try again later today. i was in a rush just trying to set up before i had to go. after i got no signal, i quickly plugged my guitar directly into the Mbox to see if the problem was with my guitar/cord and i was able to hear it through the headphones when i directly plugged into the Mbox..i would assume this means PT was getting a signal.

i have a ampeg b2r and yes, you´re making the correct method.
i make this:
bass -> ampeg b2r input -> DI ampeg output to -> presonus firebox preamp input (xlr)

i refer DI ampeg output to BAL.OUT output.

I'm not familiar with the amp, but if there is a level on the direct out make sure it is turned up.

i def. made sure i played with all the knobs to make sure i wasnt doing something stupid as to not having the volume turned up

If neither amp works but plugging straight in does, I'd guess that you have a bad XLR cable.

i would hope not being i just bought this cable and ripped it fresh out of the box to try this.

I didn't quite have time to mess around again yesterday. Hopefully I will later today.

just another thought...does anyone know if hte Mbox2 has the power to support the signal coming from the amp? I wouldnt need to use phantom power or anything like that right?