Bass recording issue

Syle

Aug 29, 2007
Hey all, a weird thing is going on recording my bass. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Omen5-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=513489

That's the bass I am using, and it has active pickups. I am going bass > Presonus Firepod > computer/DAW. What is happening is I am getting some distortion or overdrive or something from this setup. And no, it's not digital clipping into my DAW or in my firepod. My levels are great, actually below where I primarily record.

Perhaps does it have something to do with the active pickups in the bass? And if so, how do I get around that?

Thanks a ton.

I run into this problem when I plug my PODxt into my Inspire ( I'm pretty sure it has the same pre's as the Firepod). My only suggestion is to turn the volume on the bass down until you don't hear any clipping, and the adjust the gain on the Firepod.

just wondering if that is a common problem in association with the symptoms? no need to get sarcastic with it...

You could try changing your batteries, usually a good 9volt will last almost a year, as long as you unplug your bass when your done playing every single time. Make sure that all of your tone pots are set to dead center. You might be throwing too much low end at it as well. Make sure that your using channels 1 or 2 on the firepod, as they are the only ones that have DI inputs, and make sure that phantom power is turned off. Also try running the bass into the amp, and then use the line out from the amp into the firepod, that way you have some chance of EQ'ing the bass a little more and drive control.

well most basses have ways of turning off the active electronics. im not sure how you would on your particular bass though. but im absolutely positive that that would fix your problem unless youve got something else messed up in your chain. if you have to, take out the battery. that would turn the active electronics off.

On a related note, I noticed that the D.I. guitar tracks I recorded for my bands album are all clipping similar to what Syle is having. The guitar has EMG 81s in it and the input level going into the DAW isn't hot (input gain set at -9db). Now I read somewhere that 81s are supposed to clip a little but when I see the waveform I start to get a little worried. It's a friends guitar and I don't know when he changed the battery last. Is this normal? It's sounds OK in ReValver and Amplitube, no fukked up artifacs or (unwanted) distortion. Please don't tell me I have to track all our songs again.

EMG 81's clip. period.

BUT If you do the 18v or 27v mod, they won't clip anymore.

In response to the previous post:

I've got the 18v mod on both of my Caparisons and my Les Paul and it does make a huge difference. However, I'm running 85s in the bridge and an SA in the necks of my Caparisons. 85s in the bridge sound amazing. To anyone that hasn't done the 18v mod, I suggest you do it.

well most basses have ways of turning off the active electronics. im not sure how you would on your particular bass though. but im absolutely positive that that would fix your problem unless youve got something else messed up in your chain. if you have to, take out the battery. that would turn the active electronics off.

why?