Bass for recording?

Thared33

Aug 16, 2002
I don't play bass but need one for recording. I don't care how it looks, I don't care that it plays like a dream, I don't care about most things except that it sounds good. I guess the kind I'm looking for is a bass that's 'clean'. I've heard some bass players play and it's just plopplopPLOP because of the loose strings, and sometimes it just sounds a little distorted or something. Anyway, just a thick chunky sounding bass for my studio. Nothing too fancy :)

I'm going to make my limit somewhere around $1000. Surely there's a bass out there that sounds really decent on a recording for $1000. I'll most likely get used to save cash.

Thanks for the link.

Now, can anyone give me a quick answer or two instead of a search link?

Are you two different posters? I don't know the official etiquette but this bothers me.

Lakland, used stingray, fender, spector, used warwick.

edit: also in the wrong forum.

Yeah shit, I abandoned that account but it was still logged in on this old computer since I never logged out :lol:

I wouldn't mind a 5-stringer, but a 4-stringer will do. I'm gonna do some searching around for these and see what I come up with, thanks.

Thanks for the link.

Now, can anyone give me a quick answer or two instead of a search link?

Um, maybe you're not meaning to come across like it but that seems kinda rude man. It's normal practice to do a search before posting a new thread to see if it's been covered before.

There's been a whole multitude of "bass for recording" threads on the forum. Just searching "bass" in the titles of threads from the equipment forum came up with 9 pages of results, about 2-3 "what bass?" threads per page.

To be honest though, if I was spending that kind of money on a bass I'd be out there playing as many as I could, gotta get the one that sounds best to you.

active or passive is also a very important consideration. i had an active schecter c-4 that played absolutely beautiful, but no matter which set of strings or how i set the knobs, a passive mexican p-bass (which i have now) sounds better to me 10 times out of 10. but that may also just be me...haha. i record DI with a sansamp DI driver. you may want to save a few hundred on the bass and pick up one of those, too. you'd probably be better off with a mexican p or j AND a sansamp box, than you would be if you just dropped a G on a used stingray. considering you want it just for recording, and aren't primarily a bass player.

I've had the pleasure of working with all 3 for metal.

Spectors are cool, especially if you don't want to hit the top of your budget. They're pretty smooth sounding and they're durable.

Stingrays are awesome for metal. Anything from fat bass to a chainsaw tone, it's there. They're pretty heavy, so if you have a bad back I'd stay away from this one.

Fender American Made basses are very smooth. If you could make a Stingray that plays like a Fender American you'd be set! They're okay for metal, really depends on what you're doing.

active or passive is also a very important consideration. i had an active schecter c-4 that played absolutely beautiful, but no matter which set of strings or how i set the knobs, a passive mexican p-bass (which i have now) sounds better to me 10 times out of 10. but that may also just be me...haha. i record DI with a sansamp DI driver. you may want to save a few hundred on the bass and pick up one of those, too. you'd probably be better off with a mexican p or j AND a sansamp box, than you would be if you just dropped a G on a used stingray. considering you want it just for recording, and aren't primarily a bass player.

Personally I reckon the best of best worlds is passive pickups and active EQ:headbang:

Only once I couldn't get a good sound out of a Stingray and surprisingly used a Rickenbacker on a metal recording.

Arch Enemy bassists up until sharlee used one and he used one up until Doomsday where i think it was a mix of a Rickenbacker and a P-Bass... now he's got his own Ibanez sig...

Active and Passive is something worth considering, i'm looking to make my B-305 active and drop the active EQ, but i do like the passive sound i get from my Ibanez EDB and my low end Peavey Milestone bass (as cheap as it is, it plays amazingly and has a solid-as-hell tone to it)