Bass Recording / Hardcore

anyone ever used the behringer "sansamp bass driver" clone? I hate behringer stuff but it's damn cheap compared to the real deal...

You can get very close to it, if not even spot on, but I found that I had to tweak it more to get same kinds of results. Don't know why, but there you go! (did an A/B test for fun once..)

Tech 21 VT Bass pedal - The guys over at TalkBass will agree, it's the single best pedal for a cranked SVT tone. Set it to "rage" and it sounds like an old SVT on full being slammed by a RAT pedal. It even has mids!!

Trust me on this one, I've tried so much stuff and the only two set-ups I'm down to are a BDDI(or BDI21)+RAT or just the VT Bass.

I'm going to add a few thoughts about the SansAmp bass driver. I use this pedal on 75% of my shows and almost all of my recording dates. I've had great experiences with this pedal, especially through a good compressor in a studio or just over all system. I can understand someone thinking the BDDI can be bland. I agree that I don't always find whats appropriate for each session right off the bat. There are two things you want to think about as far as keeping that pedal in line. First one is the gain stages. I think of the Level, Blend, and Drive knobs all as gain stages. Though the Treble and Bass introduce volume when you boost them, the Drive knob adds tons of signal and low end when you turn it up. When setting up live, I'm constantly comparing my gain with my BDDI on and off. If you boost the drive, you may wanna mess with the bass and cut it back to match how it sounds if you hadn't introduced the drive. Also the "BLEND" If the BDDI is your only signal, most of the time you'd use the "Blend" knob on 100%. Alternatively, a great way to use that pedal is to think of it more like a layer. So I may want to accentuate my right hand and get some grit. So I may dial up a very aggressive right hand tone, but only use the "Blend" 25%. I do this more live than in the studio.

My second thought is regarding using the pedal for "Dirt" than anything. If you are a finger player unless you hit the strings really hard, it's a bit more difficult to get that nice grindy sound. Usually I'm thinking Chris Squire if he used no pick or John Entwhistle and the sound he used to get live. I usually don't hit my strings very hard so I only introduce a tiny bit of grit. If I put much more in, I do get that Mud some of you are talking about. It will sound more fuzzy than grindy. Seeing we should be using as much technique as we can take advantage of in the studio, I usually run a SansAmp GT2 pedal as a second channel. I don't run a ton of Drive. I got the pedal because it had some good tone shaping options so I could get the full range of my bass back for whatever the distortion lost. So for heavier music, the GT2 gets layered just a bit on top of the BDDI and it doesn't project a totally overdriven sound, it's just a way to project presence without volume wars with the guitars.

Keep in mind I'm still having problems myself with some bass recording thoughts. Some dynamic issues playing the ultra fast stuff verses the moderate grooves and trying to keep the same tone and volume. I posted something about it on Kernon's site.

So I'm going to second what Egan said here about the BDDI being a great utility for bass players. Not only to save my tone from certain death on shitty backlines but a tool of choice.