bass shredding

hey there! well im still working on it but i am getting much better everyday. Just learn heaps of scales all over the fretboard and in every key come up with your own stuff either riffs or solos and if you have trouble playing something either your music or someone elses just play it slowly then keep building it up.

yeah... pretty much everyone (including lepond himself) says metronome is good. i am getting much better than when i started. as a matter of fact, i am probly the best metal bassist i know (not bragging, but it is true) and i am still unsatisfyed. as long as there are people like miller and lepond that are better than me and show that there is room for improvement, i gotta keep trying. anyhow, thanks a lot. by the way... anyone know how it is humanly possible to play sea of lies??

Hello,

The stuff that LePond does can be very difficult at times, but he doesn't really do solos (shredding) its usually just tapping licks with Romeo (that are hard!). I personally like the older bassist a bit more, hence sea of lies(a bitch to pull off!) and other songs with bass solos (the damnation game etc. etc.)

Anyways, as for inproving your soloing I agree that learning/practicing scales with a metronome will help you. You don't always have to do the same patterns either..change it up a bit!

Hope this helped...see ya

After you get passed a certain point, it becomes a lot easier, because you begin to recognize certain patterns. . . with tapping anyways, well... with a lot of stuff. that tapping lick in Sea of Lies is easy once you recognize the pattern that's being tapped. I didn't use a metronome to learn it though. I should've. I usually do. They use the same tapping pattern in King of Terrors.

You know something is wrong when someone doesn't even know they're two years back :p (not referring to poster but to amount of posts and such... or whatever)

Also, Sting of the Bumblebee- Manowar

my suggestion would be to pick up a bass grimoire, and work on your finger speed through arpeggios and all of the crazy scales in the grimoire book. In addition, I would suggest going into jazz a bit. All of the greats have a background in jazz. Fusion is something that could be very resourceful to metalheads like us.