New Bass player!

Redragon

Jan 2, 2008
So i am starting bass lessons next Wednesdays.

I have a couple questions:

1) Is this a good starting Bass: Fender Standard Precision Bass. I have heard from a few people that this bass is good for starters to intermediate players.

2) Any tips for me for bass? Like any things i should not do, or that i should do so in the long run i am good and don't get any bad habits?....

Thanks!

Redragon

1) if it's a Fender (not a squire which is made by fender and is often marketed as "made by fender") it'll be absolutely fine, especially for a beginner

2) Just listen to what your teacher tells you for now because (as long as he's a good teacher) he wont lead you astray. Be patient with it because it wont happen overnight and regardless of where you end up with it, try to always enjoy playing.

Always push yourself, but make sure you are practising to play things correctly, rather than trying to just learn as much as you can as fast as you can without taking the care to learn how to do it correctly and with control.

That's actually the same bass I started with too, only mine is fretless. It actually was my dad's before I was born. There were only a few things I didn't like about it. The strings are positioned kind of close to each other, more so than other basses. They could be a little wider apart. Also, I modded it with a humbucker pickup addition. The other thing that was kind of silly was the fact that the jack is on the front of the bass. My dad modded it to be on the side. Recently I just bought my own bass. So, those are just some things to consider.

That's actually the same bass I started with too, only mine is fretless. It actually was my dad's before I was born. There were only a few things I didn't like about it. The strings are positioned kind of close to each other, more so than other basses. They could be a little wider apart. Also, I modded it with a humbucker pickup addition. The other thing that was kind of silly was the fact that the jack is on the front of the bass. My dad modded it to be on the side. Recently I just bought my own bass. So, those are just some things to consider.

Although you don't like those things, they are not going to hurt me while playing bass right?

Btw thanks for all the good feedback guys!

Redragon

Check if it is real Fender. Fender from Mexico and Japan make excellent intermediate instruments. Fender USA is even better. You can't really make a mistake with them.

Even the mexican fenders can be fantastic. There's a bit more chance involved than with the US ones, but if you can find a good mexican fender and dump just a little extra $$ into some minor upgrades you'll have yourself a great guitar. One of my good friends went from having 2 upper end tele's (one was some 4300 custom job from some european luthier) and an EBMM Steve Morse Y2d to having one mexican tele and it was 100% by choice. He find the "right" one, changed out the saddles and pickups and has never been happier with a guitar.

Actually, don't be billy Sheehan. He sucks.

^That Ibanez does seem to be a fantastic bass. I heard about it before and it was all positive.

It is...save yourself all the money and just buy it...you won't be disappointed. The neck is very beginner friendly and the finish is gorgeous. Pickups and active electronics are shockingly good...it's a tremendous value.:headbang:

Yeah...Billy Sheehan sucks...good one...please be joking.

It is...save yourself all the money and just buy it...you won't be disappointed. The neck is very beginner friendly and the finish is gorgeous. Pickups and active electronics are shockingly good...it's a tremendous value.:headbang:

Yeah...Billy Sheehan sucks...good one...please be joking.

I forgot to mention I was joking:lol: