bass simulation

Tyler777

New Metal Member
Sep 18, 2009
hey all, i need to record some bass tracks, problem bring i don't own a bass, and have zero money...

Is there any free program on the net for running my guitar as a bass? like bass sim kinda deal? if there is no such thing, could you suggest a cheap program for me to save up for?

i'll give it a shot, thanks! anyone else? if there is a program to do all of it it one neat package, that would be even better.

you could write it in a DAW using midi and what not! if not...like lordofthestring said pitch shit it down an octave, eq, compress accordingly, preamp it, cab it, di it etc

but the tone wont be very desirable. you may need to roll off the mid and top end and just use the lows if it sounds like poo

if you want to try writing it download fl studio http://flstudio.image-line.com/ and try writing a 4 bar bass lick in the piano roll - if you dont know how to well.. your best off to go with step 2 instead

if your on mac load up garageband, click piano, change it to a bass tone, go to the settings and set it for keyboard notes so you can play a bass lick on your keyboard

i have come to the conclusion that its easier just to borrow my buddies bass and DI it. lol

Much easier, Tyler! There are only so many free options and most of them don't even end up sounding like a bass in the end. Soundfonts, Octave dropping a guitar, and even Reason/FL can only get you so far. I've had a lot of success using DirectBass by Pettinhouse. It's a sample library that loads into Kontakt and uses 'round-robin' sample cycling to avoid that machine-gun sound.