Bass Tones: Ampeg SVX or Pod Farm

Bass tones; what do you use?

• Total voters
so many different opinions. lol. Normally everyone pretty much agrees...

So pod farm is out... I could spend 99 on the ampeg plug, 70 for the SD plug, look for a used RBI, VT bass, or BDDI. Hm.

What is the best all around option out of those? I'm assuming a hardware option...

RBI and BDDI are pretty much the same. They're about the same price on the used market too, $120-150. Get a Big Muff for big nasty distortion. RPM has an adjustable mid. None of the plugins I've tried for bass really stand out. Use a cab IR, all the bundled ones like Pod/Amplitube sound flat and dead.

so many different opinions. lol. Normally everyone pretty much agrees...

So pod farm is out... I could spend 99 on the ampeg plug, 70 for the SD plug, look for a used RBI, VT bass, or BDDI. Hm.

What is the best all around option out of those? I'm assuming a hardware option...

Seriously, best option is to reamp through a guitar amp (like a Recto) for the grit, and use an amp sim for the low-end. You then combine both signals and play around to find the right sound. Bass can take a ton of processing and it usually only sounds right after you've thrown the kitchen sink at it.

this:

svt-vr-410-610-1-w.jpg

Srsly. Just about any amp will do. I find that I have to automate much less when I use a real amp instead of a sim

Natural compression and characteristics of a real amp causing ease of use over a si
???? Noooooooooo!!! Hehe. But those ampeg head blows my nut everytime I hear them live :)

I'm going with Ermz on this one... split the bass. Use Ampeg SVX for the clean subs... and reamp the higher frequencies with a guitar amp.

Really, a lot of things can work though. That's why there's so many differing opinions. it seems like everybody does something different with bass...