Bass String Tension

Paduddel

New Metal Member
Dec 4, 2009
Hey guys,
I have tried some bass strings but none of them gives me the string tension that I want and need.
I own an Ibanez SR605 5-string bass which came with Elixir Strings, there was almost no string tension with them - horrible. I then bought the cheap Warwick Red Label Strings (40 - 135) which are way better but still not have the heavy tension I want.
I know the string tension I want is possible, here right at the beginning:
He is playing but the strings do almost not move - my dream :D

Any Suggestions?

Regards, Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try some hexcore strings, they have more tension due to the construction of the string. D'addario Prosteels or DR DDT strings would be good options.

I've found with lower tunings, that you're going to have some element of give with the string unless you go for huge gauges or have a bass with a longer scale length. I see the SR605 has a 34" inch scale length, which is going to have less tension on the strings than a 35"+ scale length.

Thanks guys! :)
I just made a quick list:
D'Addario - especially the best if you look at the money :D
Dean Markley - T.M. Stevens said he's using those.
or what about Elixir Strings? I have had really good experiences with those on my guitar...
4 String Set + Single String (Heavy)

DR Low Riders - Heaviest DR Strings I found, but on their website they are stated as "Medium"
DR Bootzilla - also stated as "Medium", but I would buy this strings just because of this guy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! :)
I just made a quick list:
D'Addario - especially the best if you look at the money :D
Dean Markley - T.M. Stevens said he's using those.
or what about Elixir Strings? I have had really good experiences with those on my guitar...
4 String Set + Single String (Heavy)

DR Low Riders - Heaviest DR Strings I found, but on their website they are stated as "Medium"
DR Bootzilla - also stated as "Medium", but I would buy this strings just because of this guy :D
Bootzilla

:headbang: Bootsy FTMFW

edit: fwiw Daddario imo

I ordered the DR DDTs - I let you know if it's better once they're here! :)

MusicStore screwed it up - they don't even have those string and sent me the wrong ones twice. I now ordered them from America via ebay...