String Assembler Software

dir-en-grey44

Feb 19, 2014
String Tension Assembler is free to use software and is now ready to be run and tested. It should be pretty straight forward on how it works. If you have questions or found a bug or have ideas on improvements my email address is there.

If you do not know what it is, Its basically the answer to "what gauge strings should I use for this tuning guys?" based on the setup you use.
How it works is you would pick the type of strings you use and set what tuning your in and what tuning you want to play in and it tells you the right tension strings you should use for that tuning.

Thanks to the D'addario for supplying all calculation formulas and info on the pounds of there strings I was able to turn it into a nifty little program.

String Tension Assembler Download: String Tension Assembler v.1.0.1 Beta has been released and now has 7 and 8 strings added and It also lets you add your own custom string gauges as options if you cannot find your set.

My email is there if anything is needed.

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6qewzyaid7kq89/String Assembler.exe?dl=1

Very nice timing! I've been thinking of tuning one of my 27" scale 7 string guitars down to F# standard, but wasn't sure what gauge to use. I also use D'Addario strings exclusively, so this is a really perfect match for me. Thanks!

Everything looks nice but I'm not entirely sold on the way that your program calculate witch string to choose. If I was trying to calculate my set I will try to avoid the dependency on current set (because it may be wrong) and that it will be strictly a correlation between tensions and tuning ex. I type in an Z.Wylde 10-60 set in B standard (witch in my opinion 3 highest strings are to thin for that tuning, below and D standard those gauges start to be fluffy, very easily get out of tune depending what pressure you use to play note) than try to calculate what to use in D standard and I've got an recipe to get the same fluffy 3 high in different tuning instead of some nice balanced set for that tuning (Or at least an popup screen to stop using such a inbalanced* set and that I'm a moron :D). Anyway thanks for the time you put into making that app. BTW. funny to see an app made in environment made for making online games :D

* I'd buy that ZW set and I'm very disappoint because difference between low an high strings gauge is to high, to me lows are nice to up to B std. acceptable in C std. but hard ass hell in C# (in 25.5 scale guitar that I've put them, i didn't even try tune it higher because of my fear to break them and its pain when you broke new set that was overpriced) and in a contrary highs are useless in notes below that belongs to D std.

Lol glad to get some feedback, If there too flabby I could suggest buying normal strings and finding a good set that feels right for your hands in e standard than just use the program to calculate them to b std. Personally I do not like the zw for those reasons, I had a guitar set up to use them in b std at some point and there were just too rubber band ish on my high strings. I've been calculating my strings tensions ever since.

Lol at the online environment, it is but it's proven to be a more flexible language to use for these sorts of things haha.

Have not gotten around to a port yet but happy New Years everyone, fixed a small window bug that was happening on some old xp computers.