String Tension Assembler v.1.0.0

dir-en-grey44

Feb 19, 2014
String Tension Assembler is free to use software and is now ready to be run and tested. It should be pretty straight forward on how it works. If you have questions or found a bug or have ideas on improvements my email address is there.

If you do not know what it is, Its basically the answer to "what gauge strings should I use for this tuning guys?" based on the setup you use.
How it works is you would pick the type of strings you use and set what tuning your in and what tuning you want to play in and it tells you the right tension strings you should use for that tuning.

Thanks to the D'addario for supplying all calculation formulas and info on the pounds of there strings I was able to turn it into a nifty little program.

String Tension Assembler Download: String Tension Assembler v.1.0.1 Beta has been released and now has 7 and 8 strings added and It also lets you add your own custom string gauges as options if you cannot find your set.

My email is there if anything is needed.

You can download it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6qewzyaid7kq89/String Assembler.exe?dl=1

D'Addrio pretty much shared the formula to calculate there nickel wound strings. I just translated it into a UI. We'll seeing how I just started on this project it will be feature a lot more complicated calculations down the road and will be html5 flash compatible but for now it is what it is lol. Reason I chose to start it off like this was I did not want to share the source code.

Awesome man, I can kiss my Excel files good bye !
Doesn't matter if it's Daddario or Tostitos, nickel has the same linear density everywhere.

First off, this is really cool. I'm messing around with it right now and I have a question.

You said you're supposed to click what strings you use, then pick your tuning, then pick the tuning you want to play in.
So let's say I pick.. ELX 110 BT 10-46, Drop C#, and Drop C#

It gives me 9-46w.

But I'll change the strings I'm using now to ELX 130+ 8.5-39 , and the results give me 8.5 - 39w.

So it's telling me to continue using those Extra - Super Lights for a tuning like Drop C#.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just select the tuning you want to play in, your scale length, and then it gives you what strings you should use?
Buy those strings, get your guitar re-set up, boom.

You pick the current strings that your guitar is using and than the tuning it's in.

Now you select a tuning you want to play in to achieve the same tension that your current setup is in.

Example: I use the jazz 11-49 sets and my guitar is in E standard tuning, I want to play in B standard tuning that has the same feel/tension as the jazz sets. It tells me what type of gauge strings I should look for which tells me 64w, 52w, 38w, 26w, 19p, 15p. Thanks to daddario you can order custom sets now.

7bd46abf2e9ed4c67d2cd1926c24200b.jpg

You pick the current strings that your guitar is using and than the tuning it's in.

Now you select a tuning you want to play in to achieve the same tension that your current setup is in.

Example: I use the jazz 11-49 sets and my guitar is in E standard tuning, I want to play in B standard tuning that has the same feel/tension as the jazz sets. It tells me what type of gauge strings I should look for which tells me 64w, 52w, 38w, 26w, 19p, 15p. Thanks to daddario you can order custom sets now.

Right, but what if your current set up is technically wrong?
Like 8.5 - 39s are way too light for a tuning like Drop C#.

But if you want to see what string gauge you should really be using, I put in 8.5 - 39, my tuning (drop c#), and still want to play in drop c#, the program still says I should be using 8.5 - 39s.

I appreciate the hard work put into it. I'm just giving you some feedback.

Yes, it's for in case you have another guitar that has a different scale length. If guitar A say has a 25.5 scale length and you want that same tension on your other guitar B but it has a 24 inch scale you would set it at 24 and it should spit out the right gauge strings for tension for guitar b.

There is another update in the works to expand on 7 and 8 strings and allows you to customize your own string set rather than choosing what's there.

Right, but what if your current set up is technically wrong?

That doesn't make any sense.. there's nothing wrong anywhere; it's just referencing to what you got / where you go.

Find your favourite gauge in EADGBE and translate from there..

That doesn't make any sense.. there's nothing wrong anywhere; it's just referencing to what you got / where you go.

Find your favourite gauge in EADGBE and translate from there..

It makes perfect sense. I understand it does that, but in the OP he claims this solves the question of finding out what string gauge you should be using, which it doesn't completely do.

Would you play 25.5" scale guitar with 9 - 42s in Drop F? No. It's going to be a floppy shit storm.
But let's say you are and want to find out what you should be using instead, this won't tell you that. That's all I'm saying. :)

I think you're using it wrong if it's spitting out that kind of info guy and it's based on YOURE CURRENT string gauges and the tuning it's currently in. Than you set the tuning you want to play in and finds the right string gauge tensions for the tuning you want to play in. If you're current string gauges cannot be found in the sets I provided, there is an update currently in the works that lets you set your own strings sets gauges.