Guitar players: witch picks and strings do you use?

MrLee

Jul 31, 2006
Oslo, Norway
Hi! Im in the mood for trying some new picks and string!
What Ive been using for some time now is the Dumlop Jazz 3 + Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings in standard D tuning!
I play mostly fast thrash metal..
What do you guys use?

I play in D flat/C sharp tuning, and since Behemoth uses that tuning on a bunch of their songs, and Nergal is a fucking monster on guitar, I use the same strings as you (12-56 Not Even Slinkies). For picks I usually use Dunlop Tortex picks, the green .88 ones. Some of the small guitar stores around me have picks with a similar gauge as the .88 Tortex ones but they also have a little sandpaper grip, which I really like.

the first part probably sounds confusing, I meant to say that I use the same gauge strings that Nergal uses (12-56), and I use the same type of strings that you do.

Dunlop Tortex 1.14 (Purple)
GHS Custom set: 12, 15 ,20 ,36, 52, 60.
Standard B Tuning: B, E, A, D, F#, B.
I call it Carcass tuning because I started tuning my guitars ever since I listen to Heartwork

GHS Custom set: 12, 15 ,20 ,36, 52, 60.

can you order a set like that from GHS or do you mean by "custom" you buy different sets make your own set out of it?

'Cause for another band I'm in we play in standard C tuning and I tried the GHS GHSZW set (010 013 017 036 052 060) but the first 3 are way to sloppy for my taste and the GHSZWLO set with the 070 052 aren't working for me either.

Dunlop Jazz III, Red for writing, black for playing live/recording.

Dean Markley BLue Steel .10 exclusivley (I want a deal :()

I've been experimenting with string gauge.
I started at 10-52. Then moved to 11-54 and now currently on 12-56.
I can see myself going back down to 10-52 (D standard tuning)
In Devin Townsend's Rig video, he makes a good point about them getting "woofy" when you get around 56

As for picks i started with Jazz III then moved to Dunlop Tortex purple (the green is a bit to flimsy in my hands) now a couple days ago some guy gave me a Jazz III after not playing it for a year.

For me with the Tortex, it felt great in my hand but i was limited with 16th note picking speed.
The Jazz III i could fly across strings easier and could hear every note (when playing in 16th's) perfectly. but it kept slipping out my hand, lol so i just took a stanley blade and carved lines and poof, instant grip. sucks having to do that all the time tho. :/

Dunlop Jazz III blacks (and not the gay large variety either).

Strings are D'Addario EXL125 with an added .60 for the low B. Just ordered 10 packs over ebay, and got a nice little discount, so I'm fairly stocked for the year.

green tortex .88 and daddario xl115's (11 - 49) i play in drop d open csharp and drop b and they rock in all of em