what strings should i use

lycanthropyhowl

fuck the newfits!
Nov 1, 2005
hey, so ive been using roto-sound reds (11's) on my gibson sg for a few years now, and they work great. when i got my jackson i replaced the strings with some reds, but they seem really stiff, any one know about some nice strings that are realiable and are more slinky? i tune in D standard so i need to use 11's so that they wont slip. thanx everyone.:)

The strings aren't going to "slip" unless something is causing friction at the nut or at the bridge which would result in tuning problems.

Further, you didn't say which Jackson model that you're playing. The Gibson SG has a rather short (about 24 3/4") scale which gives a looser feel on the strings. If the strings feel stiff on the Jackson, it's probably being caused by the change in scale length (25" or more), hence my recommendation of going to 10's.

lycanthropyhowl said:
im pretty sure its not the gauge that is the problem, if i go any lower than 11's than im sure it will slip cause my band plays in D standard.

.010 are fine for "D." I would not go lighter than .009, but I play in E flat and .009 handle it well.

As far as brand..... pick one. On acoustic guitar I have seen some differences between brand, but very little on electric when it pertains to guage anyway.

Bryant

sumairetsu said:
The strings aren't going to "slip" unless something is causing friction at the nut or at the bridge which would result in tuning problems.

Further, you didn't say which Jackson model that you're playing. The Gibson SG has a rather short (about 24 3/4") scale which gives a looser feel on the strings. If the strings feel stiff on the Jackson, it's probably being caused by the change in scale length (25" or more), hence my recommendation of going to 10's.

the scale on my jackson is 25.5 its a DKMGT dinky. ill try out the 10's, thanks.

lycanthropyhowl said:
the scale on my jackson is 25.5 its a DKMGT dinky. ill try out the 10's, thanks.

Yeah, the 25.5" scale would explain the stiffness. It will allow better articulation of downtuned strings, though. :kickass: