Guitar players: witch picks and strings do you use?

I would recommend that very strongly. Hell, my Eb is a 52 (Loomis uses a similar size if I'm not mistaken) and that seems a little loose as it is. You won't regret trying a 70 - I use that one all the way up to C# and won't go back to anything else.

Jeff

Indeed, I shall give it a go and your right on Loomis' 7 string the Bb is a 70 and the Eb is a 52 :p Its basically a Ernie ball heavy top skinny bottom set with the 70 added on top. Its just everytime I try a new gauge (thats thicker) I have to get my guitar set up to accomodate them. Shame Im not confident enough to tweak it myself :erk:

@jeff: 2 Questions; I'm playing a Jackson V, what do you think the main problem would be when it starts warping, bad truss rodd adjustment?

and how do you measure your tension on the neck?

I use 9-46 (depends which brand, GHS and Snarling Dogs most often) in standard E tuning on all my guitars.
As for the picks, D'Andrea or Dunlop 0.88mm Green Tortex type (regardless of the different manufacturer the picks feel exactly the same).

70 on C#? ouch, doesn't your neck warp?

I'm running "ernie ball" 56 and it starts warping just higher C# which is why i'm going back to 52

What you are referring to isn't warping, that's a wood condition. Your neck is just flexing under the increased tension of thicker strings...That's why necks have trussrods.

If you are changing guages, you should adjust the neck accordingly.

I use DR Tite-Fit Jeff Healey signature sets. They are pretty much a skinny top-heavy bottom string, about 11-56 I believe. They are round core and feel a bit different than regular hex core strings,a little slinkier. Long life, great tone.

For Picks, I looove green Tortex Sharps. Gotta be Sharps, though. For regular picks, I like the Dunlop 1mm Nylons.

What you are referring to isn't warping, that's a wood condition. Your neck is just flexing under the increased tension of thicker strings...That's why necks have trussrods.

If you are changing guages, you should adjust the neck accordingly.

I guess i'll be needing that truss adjustment. thanks for the reply

@jeff: 2 Questions; I'm playing a Jackson V, what do you think the main problem would be when it starts warping, bad truss rodd adjustment?

and how do you measure your tension on the neck?

I would guess, as stated, bad truss rod setting. For measuring neck tension, measure all strings individually and add them up. There are 'official' ways to do this, or you can just ballpark it with an online tension calculator.

Jeff

I would do a rough check by fretting the first fret and the last fret (with a capo, unless you have three arms) and then shoving a playing card under the 7th and 8th fret of the low string - if you push the strings up or you need two playing cards to touch the underside of the string, you should adjust accordingly to get it within 'normal' playing preference. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from cranking the action up and giving yourself more relief (give yourself more relief... bloody hell, it's hard to say that in a way that won't be taken out of context to sound naughty) - it's what I do, and what I'd recommend along with big strings for a more full and pronounced tone, so unless you can't manage the extra playing difficulty you might like giving that a shot.

Jeff

D'Addario .010-.046 for Eb tuning
Dean Markley Blue Steel .012-.054 with an unwound .018 3rd string for C#
D'Addario .012-.054 for acoustic in Eb

Dunlop Nylon 1.0mm for acoustic and clean electric stuff
Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0 and 3.0mm for high gain; too dark for clean and acoustic sounds.