What brand of guitar strings do you use?

rlcramer

Tone is not in MY fingers
Apr 16, 2008
I'm about to grab a few sets of guitar strings, and I started to wonder what everyone here tends to use the most. I'm not really worried about gauges, etc, but more what brand are you using, and why. I've always used D'addario, but there was never any real reason behind it, it just happened to be what I got used to.

I started to think that maybe there were better brands out there? Ernie Ball???? Just curious...

Bobby

DR. They're the strings I've heard nothing but good about. Just changed a set for my Ibanez two weeks ago, they work well for me.

I've tried many brands, always come back to D'addario in the end because nothing feels as good to me.

I have used d'addario for the past 4 years on all of my guitars. They just feel right to me and they never break and they hold tuning really well. i have tried ernie ball, dr's, every dean markley string and all of them were pretty good but they all broke a lot. so i just stuck with what felt the best to me and worked the best

Kerly Music for my Caparison, Dean Markley for my Les Paul and GHS for my Melody Maker and my Tele...

I don't really care for the brand though (the Kerlys are an exception), I look for the gauge in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned they're pretty much all the same.

Tried Gibsons, Ernie Ball, Rotosounds, Elixers, D'Addarios... and the only one I could tell just by playing would be the elixers cos of that annoying coat they have that flakes off.

D'Addarios for about two years now. I used Ernie Ball for a long time but it seems like the D'Addarios hold their tone longer. I've also had a lot of luck with S.I.T. strings (they come standard on all ESP guitars) but I have to drive nearly an hour away to get them so I usually dont bother.

doesn't matter they all look like shite under an electron microscope:lol: Wheres Kev's thread?

(Dean Markley & Ernie Ball- both great in my op)

When I first started out on guitar I used Rotosound and Ernie Ball, went off Ernie Ball's VERY quickly as they broke all the time (there's a reason it's always EB's you get free with magazine subscriptions)

Went onto D'addario's after that and have been using them ever since, I think I've broke like, 2 or 3 strings in about 4 years. Had a set of Dean Markley Stainless Steel once which were pretty cool, super bright. Also used GHS Boomers a couple of times and they've NEVER broke.

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky .010-.056 (7-string), haven't had any string breakages for a looong time. I think I've had the current set of strings for over 9 months now :lol: I usually only change them when I start to record the final guitars of a new Vortech album (once a year).