replacing strings on a floyd rose

metalbeard

Nov 20, 2007
I've only been playing guitar for a few weeks and I'm a total novice, so apologies for the noobness.

So I got my new heavy slinky strings today (11-54), I got them because my old ones were too light to play drop c. Anyway after replacing the strings and tuning to CGCFAD, I've noticed the saddle bit is facing upwards way more than it used to, so much so that I can fit the side of my hand beneath it. As a result the strings are much further away from the frets than they were in standard tuning. This has got me thinking that I've actually tuned them UP rather than down. But I'm sure that's not the case because I tuned them down to the same notes to check and the strings were way too loose... So if that's the case then going back to my original point why does the saddle bit face upwards with so much tension on the strings?

Because the springs in the back of the guitar are exerting MUCH less force than the strings on the front.

Take it to a tech or an experienced guitar friend whom you trust, and have them do it. If at all possible, watch what they do and have them teach you. That's the best thing for you to do.

It's perfectly normal, its how the Floyd Rose works.

What you need to do is take the back plate off the guitar, and there will be some springs connected to a block and a claw. The block is called the tremolo block, and the claw is called the spring claw. There will be two screws going from the claw into the guitar. These are used to tighten or loosen the springs. Tighten the springs two full turns, then retune the guitar to pitch. If the base plate of the bridge is not level with the strings, then you need to keep adjusting the springs until it is.

What you need to do is take the back plate off the guitar, and there will be some springs connected to a block and a claw. The block is called the tremolo block, and the claw is called the spring claw. There will be two screws going from the claw into the guitar. These are used to tighten or loosen the springs. Tighten the springs two full turns, then retune the guitar to pitch. If the base plate of the bridge is not level with the strings, then you need to keep adjusting the springs until it is.
Thanks for that, I actually took off the back plate but there were no screws, just three springs. I've seen some pictures of where the screws are, but there is none for mine. By the way, my guitar is a Jackson RX10D.

Sorry, ignore my previous message, I thought a screw was meant to be in the middle.

So yeah, I tightened the screws at the top, they are quite stiff now, the bridge is still not parallel though, do I have to keep tightening the screws?

I guess not, I pushed the tremolo to a parallel position and busted the 3rd string. Nice. I've had enough of this shit, I'm taking this to a guitar shop.

Thanks for the help Matt, I appreciate it.

P.S. Your music is brutal.

Ok so this is a little trick I think I learned either here or on guitar my life. This will allow you to get the action you want from your guitar... (the distance between your strings and frets)
I have a jackson kelly and a Ibanez both with floating bridge Floyd rose's and this helped me out big time... loosen up your strings
Take some thin wood strips... like paint stirrers or something... and wedge them behind the trem block so that when you tighten your strings the block is held in place and the springs aren't in use yet. adjust your fine tuners to give you some room to fine tune your strings. tune your strings up top. lock em in. the take a screw driver and tighten your springs very slowly so that the tension releases the blocks... just a little bit. this will keep your bridge in place and you strings closer to your fret board... I was going to post a vid... but i could t find one... If you didn't understand I will make a vid as soon as i can demonstrating.

Yea.. I agree they are a pain in the ass... I would much rather have a fixed bridge considering I have 3 floating bridge.

By the way, I finally sorted this out myself simply by increasing spring tension in the back. For my next guitar I just might go for a non-floyd rose :D

Tuned to C with 11's would probably loose its intonation, some of the guitars made for drop tunings today have the bridge mounted slightly back because they dont intonate well at conventional location. Almost any string gauge change, tuning change or humidity change will call for a tweek of the truss rod.

metalbeard - I see you figured it out which is good so many seem baffled by it. When you were tightening your spring tension you needed to keep dropping your tuning while doing it until its all balanced out and you were in tune. That tremolo plate should sit level/parallel with the body