Constantly breaking strings

Extortae

New Metal Member
May 7, 2002
In the last few (maybe 4) months, I have bought about 3 E's, 1 A, and now I need to buy another D since I broke that last night.

I use a Fender Strat and Hybrid strings (i think it's .46-.09). The strings ALWAYS break right where they come out of the body of the guitar after feeding them in through the back (or, right where your palm is when you palm mute).

I notice there are some small grooves in the parts that the strings lie on, I suppose from strings cutting into the metal...?

Anyway, does anyone know a safe way to prevent string breakage??

It doesn't seem to matter if I play fast/slow, hard/soft, the damn things always break, and it's ALWAYS E, A, or D. I haven't broken G B or E in a very long time.

Thanks.

There might be some sharp edges or burrs on the saddles, around the area where the string bends around the bridge... "the small groves in the parts tha the stringe lie on"...

You should probably take it to a good guitar tech in your area.

If you feel like doing it yourself, use a small keyhole file, and just run it lightly on the area where it bends a couple of times, avoiding the edge facing the pickups.

Still, I'd reccomend taking it to a tech, it's a cheap and quick fix... probably wouldn't cost more than $5.

I know a good way to prevent that.
Buy yourself a Jackson Randy Rhoads, e-string should be 0.86, then move downwards a little.

It´s worked for me for years.

I had the same problem with my D string and it turned out to be a rough edge on the bridge, a quick file sorted it out and I haven't had the problem since.

Hearse: Nope, I don't do any cutting when I change strings. I just unwind, push it to it pops out the back, and then pull it through the back.

Caroline/Xenophobe: Yeah, I can see definite bridge problems on my E, A, and D strings. I guess I'll just file em down!

Thanks for all the replies!

yeah this thread may have ended now but i own a fender 70s strat which i have upgraded but i have the same problem with my low e string, i have done filed it down a little and the problem hasnt happened again.