String tension comparison

RoTo

n00b
Oct 14, 2013
Chile
Hi guys!

Recently I've been doing a little research about string gauges using the online app www.stringtensionpro.com by D'addario.

I've had a hard time to pick a correct string gauges since I bought 2 26.5" scale guitars, so I did a comparison between different tunings.

First at all, I play guitar since 18 years ago, so my first guitar was a 25.5" scale, 6 strings with a 10-46 strings pack, then this is my confort zone related to strings tension.

So I chose my base case as a 7 string guitar, 25.5" scale with a 10-56 strings pack.

Next of it, I've calculated tension on different tunings to chose what gauges it's more like my base case.
The tuning tested were Std 7, 1/2 step down (Eb Std), 1 step down (D std) and drop A.

Finally I added the factory set of my Schecter JL7, an hybrid set 9-11-16-26-36-46 + 62 and add an extra case with a 0.64" 7th string.

Results are shown in percentage against base case. Positive percent means "harder than" and negative means "looser than". For example, a 10-56 set is close to 8% harder in a 26.5" std tuning compared to a 25.5".

I've attached Excel sheet if you want to enter your data https://mega.nz/#!klgRgJDZ!4MOwSSu9d9UJDbeDNAjTqGe1lD-4yvaETgHqnDyFs80.

90zqsn.png

Footnote: All tension data base were taken from D'addario strings, so results should vary with differents brands, materials, etc. But is still a good approach.

Last edited:
Cool. I'm a nerd, I calculated all the string tensions for every tuning and lenght and note. From my observation, the only "logical" tuning from all the sets available was the Yngwie Malmsteen's one. Simply put : 8-11-14-22-32-46
The tension increases as you move up the bigger strings. Most sets are just random, even their "balanced" sets.
Here's the proof on one of my sheets (the light green one is his set)
I was reserving this for a video/vlog but I give you the scoop lol:)
malmsteen.png

Hi guys!

Recently I've been doing a little research about string gauges using the online app www.stringtensionpro.com by D'addario.

I've had a hard time to pick a correct string gauges since I bought 2 26.5" scale guitars, so I did a comparison between different tunings.

First at all, I play guitar since 18 years ago, so my first guitar was a 25.5" scale, 6 strings with a 10-46 strings pack, then this is my confort zone related to strings tension.

So I chose my base case as a 7 string guitar, 25.5" scale with a 10-56 strings pack.

Next of it, I've calculated tension on different tunings to chose what gauges it's more like my base case.
The tuning tested were Std 7, 1/2 step down (Eb Std), 1 step down (D std) and drop A.

Finally I added the factory set of my Schecter JL7, an hybrid set 9-11-16-26-36-46 + 62 and add an extra case with a 0.64" 7th string.

Results are shown in percentage against base case. Positive percent means "harder than" and negative means "looser than". For example, a 10-56 set is close to 8% harder in a 26.5" std tuning compared to a 25.5".

I've attached Excel sheet if you want to enter your data https://mega.nz/#!klgRgJDZ!4MOwSSu9d9UJDbeDNAjTqGe1lD-4yvaETgHqnDyFs80.

90zqsn.png

Footnote: All tension data base were taken from D'addario strings, so results should vary with differents brands, materials, etc. But is still a good approach.

Question for you mate. Sorry I can't open your sheet at the moment, so apologies if it's already in the sheet.

What about material density? Do you cover it?
Just saying cause I got screwed once, buying the same gauge but of different material.

The thing is, the first mode of a string in tension (the note it produces in open string) is a function on length (scale length), tension and density. For the exact same scale length, string gauge, the tuning you want will vary and lot with the string material. You considered that? If so that's awesome man! Nice sheet

Last edited:
Jesus fucking Christ.........

Nerds. Hahaha.

Not the Star Wars kind tho ;) Just the electrical engineering tech in me, it's kind of a derivate of other stuff we calculate lol

Hughes Berger : j'le fais, I know you were not asking moi but it's in the UW column, but I guess you knew that !