String gauge for whole step down?

TRA

Just another nobody
Feb 17, 2009
I've been using DR DGB-11 (11 14 18 28 38 50) to tune a whole step down, but their quality control absolutely sucks and I'm sick of dealing with random strings being dead as a door nail. No other company, that I've seen anyway, has a pack of strings in this configuration.

I'm willing to play with different string gauges, but just wanted some recommendations from you folks. I don't like super heavy strings and the Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies were too much for this tuning.

I use this tuning exclusively on all my guitars. On 24.75s I use D'addario EXL 116 (52-11), and on 25.5s I use D'addario EXL110+ (48-10.5). Both work awesomely well.

Thank you, sir!

No problem! I was actually a long time user of the EH-11 set as well, but I switched for much the same reasons as you. DR is weird, I've had sets of their strings that feel exceptional, and many that just flat out sucked (on both bass and guitar). Curiously enough, the more "standard" (oft used) guages will usually give you better luck if you are buying DR. Perhaps this is because they make more of these, and when you buy them you are getting a "fresher" pack than the heavier more "niche" metal guages? Which could have been sitting on a shelf for months. I've had many unsatisfactory experiences with DRs heavier sets (56-12 or 13, can't remember which), those were just utter abominations, but I've never had a bad set of the MT-10 gauges (46-10).

Still, DRs are more expensive than D'addarios, and D'addarios are utterly consistent from pack to pack. I think there is a reason why D'addarios are considered the gold standard in the strings world.

i think zakk wylde bought out some stupidly thick 60mm strings, want to try these

also know a band who play in drop g but making really melodic stuff and they use 7 string strings but one string down (the b from the 7 pack would be where the e string should go)

I'd imagine it's a string that sounds dull or muddy compared to the rest of the set.

i'm having this on almost every dep E string.
i always thought it's because i use a fat 60 string in C
so it sounds a bit dull die to the thickness, damn!