what gauge would you use for that string?

rispsira

Mar 18, 2010
I have a couple of seven strings guitar and am about to order new sets of strings.

I figured out what gauge i want for each string except the 7th

the way i tune is a whole step down for every string so the 7th is an A. (which i can see a lot of you tune down to)

So i figured the gauge should be between .60 and .70. Probably even more than 60 because i have a .58 right now and it cant handle picking :s

It is worth mentioning that one is 26.5" and the other a 25.5"

Thanks all!

what gauge will the rest of the strings be?

And yes the scale is important. The same gauge string will have more tension in the 26.5" scale than the 25.5".

I think you definitely need at least a .64 and maybe a .70 for the 25.5". The best way is to try different gauges and see what you like best.

Thanks for the replies guys! im out, so im writing this in a hurry but i will come back and tell you what gauge im using for each strings.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: sorry for the late reply but i wrote evrything and forgot to copy it and it was gone. Not that it was long but i got realy busy :erk:

Ok so here it is:

I usually use 11, 14 (sometimes 15), 18, 28 (thinking of putting a 30), 42, 52 and the 7th a 58 which is a mess.

I was thinking of keeping that configuration for my 25.5" (except for the 7th of course), but for the 26.5" i will also order a couple of skinny top, heavy bottom since the tension will be stronger than my 25.5", for soloing.

That set goes like this (its a 6 string set that i will add a string to):
10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52

By the way i told you i "have" two 7 strings guitars, but in reality im ordering the second one along with strings so i havent experienced with the 26.5" yet and dont know if i will end up with the same gauge as my 25.5" EBMM JP7 for the top strings so im buying the set above just in case i dont.

The other guitar i am ordering is a schecter hellraiser C7 FR, because i wanted to have a guitar with 26.5" for the way i tune and active pickups as well so i have the choice for recording!

Have never tried that guitar though (cant try anything here) so its a bit of a risk but the price is good and the reviews arent bad.

To go back to the gauge i will need to experiment but it seems it should be between a 64 and 70 so unfortunately i will have to buy a couple sets of each 64, 66, 68 and 70 (i am not sure above 70 it will fit in the tuning pegs on my guitar) because theres always a wait to receive stuff i order from the US so i need to have backup strings.

Anyway sorry for the long post :tickled: comments or advice on any of the stuff above?

Thank you for all the help!

Don't worry about the schecter, it's an awesome guitar. 10-52 for A standard on a 26.5" scale sounds pretty good to me if you also intent to do some soloing. Based on the strings you use I'd go for either a .68 or .70

Btw, where are you from? If you're in europe there's no need to order from the US, try this: http://saitenkatalog.de

Thanks for the advice man! im also glad you like the schecter!
Im from Lebanon so i pretty much order everything from abroad because of the lack of availability here. Its like routine now it doesnt bother me much except for the wait.

Mm.. So i guess i might end up with .68 on the 26.5" and .70 on the 25.5"? (will try the 70 on the scecter as well)

Really am tired of strings going out of tune!

Thanks man!