Heavy Gauge String Sets?

Mopy

New Metal Member
Sep 6, 2011
As the title says, who makes the best "heavy" gauge string set (13-70) or so. Or where would be the best place to order the strings separately?

Why do I ask? Locally there is next to none in the range of strings above 12-56's and would rather get some opinions before ordering 15 different sets of strings off the net.

Plus, I've also been getting tired of playing with rubber bands in Drop G... :lol:

Thicker strings give a thicker sound, I imagine a 68 would sound totally shit and dull. edit: although being that low tuned you might have to use something that thick, also if you are playing doom or something it might work out for the best!

Thicker strings give a thicker sound, I imagine a 68 would sound totally shit and dull. edit: although being that low tuned you might have to use something that thick, also if you are playing doom or something it might work out for the best!

Playing Progressive-ish Djent, not exactly sure on what to name it. So that may be an issue.

But say a 7 string was tuned down to G# or so (think Periphery) and they were using a low 65 or whatever they fancy, you don't exactly hear them sounding very dull at the slightest? What gives?!

Probably just personal preference friend, I really like bright tones. Exaggeration on my end as well lol! If you can try it then do it, I would compare the tonality difference between a 56 to a 68 like the 1st string to the 2nd in your current set up, just more extreme.

D'addario strings are great btw, I have never gone back to another company since I started using them.

I use Ernie Ball baritone 72-14 on my Gibsons and they take it like champs. No slug or caca sound. But I am a Gtr tech so I know how to work it.

I used Elixrs on an 8 string. Think the lowest was a 0.74, or something. Seen people use 1.00 as well.

I use D'Addario 13-68 (custom set) for Drop B on a 25.5" Axis Super Sport and for A# on a 27" Mushok Baritone.
I'll use 14-74 for drop G# on the 29 5/8" EBMM Silo Baritone.

Far from dull tone-wise.

I use a .014-.070 set for B standard, both on my 25.5" six-string and on my 26.5" seven-string. It works really well for some stuff, it's not that good for some stuff. My main use is in my doom band, I'd NEVER go lower because of intonation issues when holding long chords and picking hard and I always, always, always gig and record with a .070 for my low B. But when I play thrash or try to shred at home I usually pick up one of my standard setup guitars with thinner strings. You lose a bit of attack with heavier strings(you have to pick harder to get the same attack) but you gain intonation(and tone when you pick properly), so it's all about personal preference. If you setup your guitar properly and have good picking technique heavy strings don't sound dull. :)

So I have encountered a massive problem with ordering strings from Just Strings...
For shipping to Australia they expect me to pay $40, when I only plan on ordering $30 worth of strings (3 sets). Are there any stores online with the same sort of idea/stock but more Australian friendly?

So I have encountered a massive problem with ordering strings from Just Strings...
For shipping to Australia they expect me to pay $40, when I only plan on ordering $30 worth of strings (3 sets). Are there any stores online with the same sort of idea/stock but more Australian friendly?
same shit for me but shipping to Argentina. And I payed only 8 for 3 packs of strings (11 usd) from guitar parts depot (too bad that site seems to be gone now :S)