Bridge/Tuning/String Gauge question

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
I went out today and bought some mix and match sets of strings so that I could drop tune my guitar to

GGCFADA (All flat) This is similar to the tuning sikTh use for a 6 string, except for a 7.

I bought a set of elixirs and ernie balls, aswell as an additional .52 string.

I've configured my RG8527 start from the bottom (thickest string)

i've been spending HOURS fucking around with my bridge but even after adjusting the springs the bridge is still inclined at about 20 degrees, and there is SHIT loads of tension in the neck but hardly any on most of the strings on the fretboard. How can I fix this problem without taking it somewhere and getting others to set it up? Or will I have to?:err:

I've decided i'll even go back to just getting a heavier gauge for my 6 and playing with that tuning on that, but i can't even get the guitar to stay in Drop A anymore. It's not like I can even reset the spring back to its old relative position because i've changed gauge.

Cheers guys.

How many springs you got installed right now?

So you say you have tighten the back plate that holds the springs and the bridge is still inclined?
Is the neck straight atm?

My guess is you need more, or stiffer springs.

Pics could help see what's up

56 is overkill for D.

a lot of dudes on here seem to go all out overkill with their string gauges.

you guys know it's possible to play with a little finesse too, right?

I've got a 60 on my 7 string tuned down to B flat, and its more than tight enough, but it all depends on what scale guitar you've got dude. My 6 string was a 25.5 scale guitar and I needed at least a 70 for it to stay tight when tuned down to B, but now the neck is warped, so you don't want to go too far :D

56 is overkill for D.

+1

I've got wrist injuries so I only have heavy strings when I have to, and on my 7 string, but for tuning down to D, I like to use a 48.

56 is overkill for D.

I used to think so (trust me, many on here may remember when I was advocating a .54 in C :D), but it was mainly playing bass for awhile while recording my EP that made me a tension addict for the low strings; as long as it's controlled, playing harder is always gonna sound better (which means you need high tension so the notes don't go sharp on the attack), and I also find I can play tighter when the low strings have less give, so it's win-win as far as I'm concerned! (but I use pretty light top strings, my current D-standard set is .0095-.014-.019-.030-.042-.056, ascending tension for the win :headbang: )

I used to be all about the ascending tension, but these days more even tensions feel better. However, lots more interesting stuff is in the works as i'm getting Newtone strings to build me a custom set (i.e. custom wrap wire, custom core, the full works)

I agree with Josh, 56 for D is CRAZY. 56 is my low B string for christ sake :lol: I did used to use 9-42+54, but I found that 56 seemed to balance a little better with the 42 just before it so I switched.
Just learn to play with a lighter picking technique. I'm not saying go all wussy because I do pick fairly hard myself, but goddamn, I can't imagine your hands would love you playing a lengthy gig having to constantly hammer away at such tense strings.
As for G, well, fuck, 56 is WAY too loose man. In fact I'm of the opinion that anything below A down to F# should be played on AT LEAST a 26.5 inch scale guitar (the Schecter scale length) but if you wanna make do with the Ibanez, throw on at least a 70, although anything up to 74 can work quite well.
No need to have different gauges for the doubled up low G either, just use the same gauge and it should work fine.

One thing to watch, is when dealing with big strings and a 25.5 inch scale, is that intonation can be a bitch, so be prepared to spend at least a little time really giving your guitar a thorough set up once you get some appropriate gauges.
For the C and F strings, I recommend 54 and 42 respectively. You'll find 46 is pretty damn loose for C and for F (which I assume is two semi tones higher than the low F of an E standard tuned guitar), 32 is gonna be floppy, so 42 should be quite tight.