Always been using 009s..

Cognition

Metal
Oct 25, 2009
Norway
I've always been using 009 gauge strings. Just 'cause it's been the default standard string gauge of every guitar I've ever played.

I mostly play in standard E or drop D.

I've noticed most guitar players on here use thicker gauge strings (although a lot of them tune down).

Of course, theoretically I could just slap thicker gauge strings on my guitar, but is it so that I would have to take my guitar to a guitar tech every time I wish to change string gauge to have it set up again?

How much impact on my guitar tone would it have to go up to 10, 11 or 12s? Can I get away with switching string gauge without a setup without messing up my guitar?

I've got a Schecter Hellraiser C1.

My friend says since I have a fixed bridge I don't have to worry about having my guitar set up if I switch to thicker strings. Is this true?

If you play in E standard and drop D, why do you need to change string gauge?
If you're happy and comfortable with 9s, just use them. Don't change for the sake of it, or doing it because everyone else here uses bigger strings.
I use 9-42+59 on my 7 strings. Never cared what people thought about it being "Pussy" or whatever, I like it and it works for me, which is what matters.

My friend says since I have a fixed bridge I don't have to worry about having my guitar set up if I switch to thicker strings. Is this true?

No, that is definitely not true. There are other adjustments that need to be made to the guitar and the nut will more than likely need to be cut with larger slots.

009s are working fine, yeah, but I've read thicker strings would give better tone for rhythm guitar, hence trying to find out if I could try out 10s or 11s without having my guitar set up and whether it would actually impact the sound that much.

Thanks for the input! I might not be missing out on anything with 009s...

you will likely have to adjust the intonation, and maybe also the tuss rod and string action. not a big deal imho

No, that is definitely not true. There are other adjustments that need to be made to the guitar and the nut will more than likely need to be cut with larger slots.

Try it without cutting the nut first though. Because if it's fine without cutting the nut, then you've got the freedom to go back to the old gauge without having to get a new nut next time.

A different tone, yes. Better? Matter of opinion at the end of the day.
If you just want a different rhythm sound, why not just switch to 9-46 up from 9-42 and see how that sounds? At least that way, your vibrato and bends wont be affected on leads.

Not necessarily looking for a different tone, just wondering if I'm missing out on something. The great thing is, it does appear from this thread I'm not missing out on anything mind blowing. Thanks! :)

Haven't actually had my Schecter for that long, so haven't switched strings from the stock D'Addario ones at all yet. It just hit me it might be set up for 010s and not 009s already. Haha. Must do some research to verify, though.

Depends on the guitar. My SZ seems to be able to change guages without needing much adjustment. Whereas some of my guitars need truss rod adjustments and suchlike.

Personally for playing drop D I go 9-54 (7 string set with the d string thrown away) as I use heavy picks (2.0mm) and pick quite hard on my low riffing and chords, but like having the skinny strings for leads.
You could go for a set of light top heavy bottoms (9's on top 10's on the bottom) as I feel that 9's for rhythm work can be a bit thin sounding. Chances are you wouldn't need to adjust anything other than the intonation.

btw, i've never had to cut the nut when changing string gauges.
my jackson dkmgt is loaded with 13-62 strings tuned to B and the nut is just fine

I use .010 to .070 on my sevenstring, I can dig in harder on the lower strings(especially the B string) without the pitch going to hell. I've got used to thicker strings and I really like the feel and sound of it. But it really depends from person to person.