NBGD!

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
For a couple of years now, I've been questing for the perfect string gauge for various tunings, and I'm happy to say that thanks to a ton of experimentation (and the help of this invaluable string tension guide from D'addario) I've found it on my 25.5" Jackson in D-standard (and I know I've said that before, but I settled on this over a year ago, so this time it's sticking :D):

D - .054 (19.5 lbs)
G - .042 (20.9)
C - .030 (19.9)
F - .019p (16.4)
A - .014 (14.1)
D - .010 (12.9)

In other words, I like it light-top/heavy-bottom (much like my gf :loco: ), cuz I want tuning stability when thwacking the hell out of the bottom strings, and enough slack for effortless, wide, and most of all controlled vibrato on the high strings.

BUT, in order to approximately match those tension numbers on my also 25.5" LTD H-1001 in B-standard, I've had to go .064/.049/.036/.024w/.017/.012 - and I fucking DESPISE it, the low strings are so awkward and flubby, not because of tension but just sheer mass, ugghhh.

SO, I scoured ebay, and found this baby, a Schecter Scorpion Elite Baritone:

ScorpionBari.jpg

It looks better in person than I expected (though I hate the tribals, and the symmetrical double-cut style has never been my thing) - but the only reason I got it was because of the 26.5" scale length and the pretty sweet deal I got on it (though as it turns out, it actually had an MSRP of $899 when it was new between '01-'03), and even with the strings that came on it (no clue what gauges, feels like a standard .56-.12 set if I had to guess), the difference in playability is MASSIVE - once I've experimented sufficiently with this beast, I plan on flipping it and the LTD for a real nice baritone, cuz I can never go back to 25.5" for sub-C tunings!

Cool guitar! Gotta say, its always interesting to see other people's tastes in string guages. I'm a devout D standard guy as well, and I like mine a tad thinner on the bottom and thicker up top. Different strokes hahahahaha.

Definitely agree with the thick strings sounding like shit comment. One thing that can help quite a bit is using Stainless Steel strings, but that is rougher on your frets and causes more wear than nickel strings. Worth trying at least once though, to experiment. The DR Hi Beams (those are their Hex core SS strings, nothing like the Tite Fits, which are Nickel and round core) are quite good IMO.

Congrats on the new baritone. I plan on getting one someday when I pay off the million things that need done on the cars and house. I would like to tune lower but keep putting it off because I think the normal scale length of my guitar is going to make it a pain in rear.

The D'addario string calculator stuff is really useful. I used it to figure out what gauge of 6th string to get when doing drop "c" tuning so it would feel similar to "d" standard. It worked out great and the string did not even need intonated.