Bass strings and picks

Fabrice

Feb 21, 2011
Hei!

What is your favorite strings and picks for bass?

In my case, for a 34" bass tuned in E standard, yours case can be also interesting.

(Please, excuse my poor English).

I use d'Addario ProSteels 135-50 for my 5 string and I dig them (the e-string is .105 gauge). That bass is tuned down a whole step though, so you might want something thinner.

I use the purple dunlop tortex pick, don't know how thick that one is, but it's a bit thicker than what I use on guitars.

I use d'Addario ProSteels 135-50 for my 5 string and I dig them (the e-string is .105 gauge). That bass is tuned down a whole step though, so you might want something thinner.

I use the purple dunlop tortex pick, don't know how thick that one is, but it's a bit thicker than what I use on guitars.

Purple tortex is 1.14mm.
I love the guitar and bass guitar Purple tortex picks, perfect size IMHO

Purple 'The Wedge' picks are just about the ideal combination for me. Not sure if they produce the ideal tone yet though. We used a combo of yellow .73mm and green .88mm Tortexes on the IMW album, and I thought the bass grit came out quite savage on that one. Standard tuning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use D'Addario 50's for my bass tuned to Drop C. I honestly feel like I could use a heavier 3rd and a much heavier 4th string... Can't find many different string gauges here, tho, and even less for bass.

I use Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.14mm.

Purple tortex is 1.14mm.
I love the guitar and bass guitar Purple tortex picks, perfect size IMHO

Yea man, ever since I started using them, nothing else came close! They seem to have that perfect blend between thickness and shape that gives you huge chugs and still a very clear attack. Other picks I've tried only seemed to give me one or the other.

Oh and the colour is nice...that's something I've learned to appreciate after dropping the translucent big stubby's on a wooden floor about 500 times. Found a lot of pennies and lost socks in those days!

I've been using Dunlop strings on this tour I'm teching on, finding them to die really quickly. I generally prefer D'Addario over all others. 45-105 for E standard with a 34" scale, .88 green Tortex.