Bass Strings

NathanSoulfracture

myspace.com/soulfracture
Aug 26, 2004
www.soulfracture.co.uk
I was wondering if someone could help me, if i want to play a 4 string bass in B standard tuning/Drop A would using a 5 string bass set (minus the G string) do any long-term damage to the neck of my bass? i remember a while ago someone told me using a 5 string set can warp the neck of the bass, so i just wondered if someone could clarify it for me? thanks.

I've owned 5's and 6's and didn't like the string spacing or general feel. Horses for courses and whatnot.

B-E-A-D shouldn't do any damage to the neck if it's decently constructed. If it's a bolt-on neck, I'd say go for it. You'd need to do a proper setup and redo the intonation though.

Yea im the same, i cant take to playing more than 4 strings haha. thanks man, i reckon i would have to redo the intonation, i used a 5 string set on an old 4 string bass once and if i was tuning to standard the B string would say B on a tuner but when playing it with the other strings it sounded well out of tune, is it easy to setup intonation on your own? or would you recommend i take it to a shop and have them do it?

it's probably worth getting a tech to setup your bass properly so you can see what they do (neck relief, setting intonation, string height, etc) first before doing it yourself. It's not particularly difficult (try google for a how-to guide), but it's worth learning from someone who knows how to do it properly.

Doc: I cant really afford a new bass at the moment, and im not really that keen on playing 5 string basses, everytime i try playing one i cant play it comfortably.

Man do I understand that situation. I agree that you should definitely check the intonation. Another thing to consider is the scale length of the bass. If it is 34", then down-tuning to B is never going to work without distorting your neck. A 35" scale will help keep the tuning better, but you'll definitely need to take it in to a shop and have it set up. 36" is even better, but few basses are made that large, and those are just cumbersome.

I enjoy having that extra high string on my 5-string, and I can understand the attraction of having a 7-string guitar. It took a little getting used to the wider neck and string spacing of the 5-string, but now I love it. I really enjoy being able to change tunings on stage simply by switching guitars. I hate watching people tune on stage, it's just a pet peave. But to each his own.

I couldn't ever imagine playing a 4 string again. Though tuning B-E-A-D shouldn't be a big deal with a proper setup. Think about it, a lot of people on here play six stingers tuned way down with like 70's on the lowest string, I imagine most 24.75 scale guitars don't like that, but it works anyway.

[edit: theirs still plenty of 5 stringers out there with 34" scale length and handle the B fine. I can't imagine the extra fretboard real estate making a huge diffence in durablity since most 5 strings still only have 1 trustrod.]

I didn't see it mentioned but the biggest issue (and reason to take it to a tech) is that you are going to have to get the slots in the nut widened. You can't just run the string through it a bunch like you (kind-of) can w/ guitar.

doh....yep. Another reason to go the tech route. May even require a replacement nut (sounds painful) depending on the gauge you intend on using.

OT: Egan....listened to "Dismantling Devotion" at work again today and frightened the living hell out of a colleague who asked to hear what I was listening to! Be very proud of that piece of work, it's simply stunning stuff.