Bass Tone: Iron Maiden/Steve Harris?

Having been in contact with steve recently regarding endorsements its clear that he has a whole rack system with all sorts of different things in it. Ignoring the player his tone is going through so many different things you couldnt attribute it to one unit. The only thing I know for sure he uses are Alectron preamps and 4x12 cabs.

too, many, commas, dashes, and - various, other - forms... of, punctuation, too- difficult- to, read...,-!!!

Don't forget volume; the key to Steve's sound.;) Should any other band member dare play louder than your bass, turn up your rig and hit the strings harder. It doesnt matter if you go out of time with the rest of the band and produce a clicky erratic mush... it's fine (but only if your foot is on a monitor). Loudness is key so people don't forget who's band it is.

I managed to get a sound that reminded me of he's by using a JCM 900 emulation-vst.
I pulled the bass back to 10 o'clock, mid and treble to 17, and slight poweramp-distortion on the clean channel.
I used the bass-di from "The Unrest", i might be able to post some clips later on.

And i heard someone playing on a Marshall Dynamic Bass at my school the other day, and he played the trooper with an amazing Harris-tone.

that Harris clack is gotten by plucking the strings more downward than upward so they smack against the fingerboard. Kinda like slap on crack. Do go for at least a little upward motion though.

All videos where I saw Harris' right hand closed up show the kind of movement as if he's plucking the strings with a bit of his nail while moving his finger upwards, not picking it with just the tip of the finger. I assume that should give some of that sharper pick-alike attack and that famous "clack" of his...
That could explain his choice of flatwound strings, which are much darker sounding than roundwounds and last but not least - they don't rasp the nails as much! :lol: