bass traps

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Forgive me if this isn't the correct section to post this, but I wasn't exactly sure....

Looking at bass traps and absorbers as what I'm using now is just bad and my room is horrible!

I know a lot of guys build their own absorbers, but if you were to buy this stuff, on a budget of maybe a few hundred $, which brands would you shoot for?

Would something like these be ideal for bass trapping? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soundproofi...271?pt=US_Other_Pro_Audio&hash=item4acf925b67

I've always just hung that eggcrate/bed foam stuff and never bothered with treating my corners. I've learned that I need DEEP absorbers and more mass, apparently, to be effective.

Also - can anyone point me towards tutorials on properly treating a room? Are you supposed to use traps on the bottom corners of the walls, or just the tops? Hang something over my window that is directly behind my computer monitor, or a simple curtain is fine? Sorry for the newb-ness.

Don't buy that shit. Building bass traps is super easy and honestly you can do as little as throwing a tablecloth over an un-opened pack of semi rigid fiberglass and it will be exponentially more effective than the foam shit. I'm not saying you should be that lazy of course but it would do a lot more for you. You can find OC703 or the mineral wool equivalent online or try to find a local dealer. I bought 6 sheets 2'x4'x2"or OC703 from SPI for like $75. Mineralwool is cheaper but harder to work with.
For low frequency stuff the reason to focus in corners is b/c that's where lows build up. It really doesn't matter whether the corner is high or low, vertical or horizontal. What does matter is the meeting of two corners will be the source of even more bass build up. In most situations, the choice to build high is a functional one b/c it doesn't eat up floor space and also if you're using broadband traps your bass traps help deal with reflection issues as well.
If you are going to buy pre-made traps GIK get my vote. They're all open back, they have a built in airgap, and you hang them using normal picture hooks.

Thanks egan. I was looking into the OC703 stuff before. So if I got something like 2'x4'x2", do you just use each sheet individually, or double them up? It seems most absorbers I see are way thicker than 2"....But I'm assuming you build a wood frame and use 2 sheets and have an air pocket in between the sheets? What's the best material to wrap these with?

Also, how would you make a corner bass trap out of something like that? Just hang the sheet 45 degree in the corner, or cut up the sheets and create triangle-like structures?

Stumbled upon this tutorial:

Guessing this is a pretty standard method, and I could do something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used some rockwool flexibatt for mine. About 30-40e/6 sheets, each around 10cm thick. I recall they had even thicker ones though.

i got mine from acoustimac.com and i am very happy with them. they also sell diy kits and raw materials if you want to make your own.

I also really vouch for making your own and agree with everything Egan said. I must honestly be one of the least do-it-yourself guys out there. I'm happy when I use a screwdriver and don't hurt myself. But I built my traps myself and it really was very simple.
Collecting the right materials and planning out where to put the traps is definitely the harder part. And since you are from the US, I think that will be easier for you. We don't get the OC703 stuff around here, so I had to find a replacement with very similar characteristics, which was pretty much only sold per 2 pallets... that was fun. :bah:

About placement and stuff, i once wrote a rather large reply on that, so I'm going to be lazy and just refer you there. I'm no acoustics pro by any means, but I am the type of person that wouldn't use a spoon without reading the booklet, so everything posted there came from what I gathered during my research. Maybe it will be of use to you :)

"Also, how would you make a corner bass trap out of something like that? Just hang the sheet 45 degree in the corner, or cut up the sheets and create triangle-like structures?"
Both methods are possible. The "cutting in triangles and stacking" is called a Superchunk. I think most people agree that the stacking method is most effective, but it is also a bit more expensive and not all of your corners may have that option. So that's really a judgement call on your part.

Cost-wise, I think I paid about 300 euros total for all my stuff, and I think I ended up with around 20 traps (a mix of bass and broadband traps). I doubt anything can come close to that; both in price and performance. I am very happy with my results.

Good luck! You may wonder why you haven't done this earlier once you are done :lol:

I found that buying 2x4 and cutting them to size was the cheapest. If you have a Joanns or Michaels nearby, get their smartphone app. Joanns had a 40% off purchase phone coupon and I was able to stack a printable online coupon and get my materials for cheap. I couldn't find OC703 anywhere cheap enough so I went with SAFB batts.

$260 and 16 hours later, I had 18 4" thick traps for my room. Good luck.

A quick question - is it recommended to have bass traps for a simple tracking room with 2 Rockit6 speakers on a computer desk ?

sound treatment would be highly recommended for any mixing or tracking environment. getting the bass under control is a must if you want a clear and punchy mix in the end.

In the UK, Studiospares have a sale on the Primacoustic panels - 6 lbs/cubic ft density and a decent thickness, just picked up some extra stuff for early reflections to compliment my DIY Rockwool panels.

I'm sure there are insulation places in your area. Find them and order a few boxes of OC703. I built my traps from floor to ceiling and have a bunch hanging at reflection points. It will be the best money you've ever spent.

Honestly, for the amount of money you save and the time it takes to make them it's not worth it. I just buy GIK traps cause they're not THAT much more and the quality is top notch.