bass traps

steveguitarplayer

New Metal Member
Dec 9, 2008
Hi guys

I know that bass traps are supposed to go in corners, with an air gap in between and i have made bass traps and put them in the corners of my studio. Im wondering, however, if its possible to put a bass trap in the centre of each room (because there are actually five separate rooms in this unit turned studio) instead of only putting the bass traps in each corner of 2 rooms only and would it be more effective?

So, in the whole unit there are 20 corners and i have put bass traps in 7 corners so far, so my question is would it be more effective to put 1 bass trap in the centre of each room instead? These traps stand on the ground and are quite big. For the main room with my monitors set up i would put traps in each corner but for the remaining rooms im thinking of putting the rest of the traps in the centre of each room and im wondering if putting one trap in the centre of a room is effective or not?

I know i could make more traps to just put in the corners but this idea has been in mind for a while and im wondering what other people think of this? or if this practically wont work well as a a bass trap (in the centre of a room)

thanks
Steve

No. The whole point of a bass trap is to create some "dead" air in areas where the bass really likes to build up and resonate - corners. Putting a bass trap in the center of the room would... uh... not do a hell of a lot, as far as I'm aware. If it was right behind your mixing position, I could see it *maybe* disrupting some peaks and nulls between your front and rear walls, but that's about it. A trap in the middle of the room can't create any dead space, so it won't be reducing the amount of energy bouncing off your walls.

Think of it this way - the ideal, "I have three billion dollars to spend on room treatment" solution would be to have bass traps all the way around the room. Putting them just in the corners takes out the worst spots. Putting one in the center does ______?

Corners, first reflections, directly behind you, sometimes directly in front of you.

Ideally every part of the walls but in the center of the room probably won't do much.

Something to remember is that bass traps not only absorb bass frequencies, they also filter out everything above as well. You need more mass to absorb lower frequencies as they carry more power, but that doesn't mean higher frequencies aren't removed as well. A bass trap on your wall behind you is a good idea to help prevent reflections, but that doesn't substitute the need for bass traps in corners.

Traps in the middle of the room aren't going to do much and isn't something that is practiced. In other words, just don't do it.