quick room treatment question

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

i'm going build myself a few DIY bass traps soon....4 to be precise, 1 for each corner (as well as some thinner panels for first reflection points if building the traps will go nice and smooth...).
my question is, is it very important that all 4 traps have exactly the same size?
the problem is that there is a heating outlet in one of the corners (back wall left side), so this trap would have to be smaller in order to fit on top of it.
i was planning to make the other traps around 120cm x 70cm x 15cm (around 47 x 27 x 6 inch), and this one would have to be 90cm x 60cm x 15cm (35 x 24 x 6 inch).

the other option would be to cover the corresponding walls right next to the heating outlet, but i guess that won't be as effective as directly straddling the corner.
of course, i could also make the other 3 traps smaller, or at least the one exactly on the opposite site of the heating outlet (back wall right side) and leave the front wall traps bigger.

but then again, maybe i'm just overthinking things right now...

any suggestions?

Just cover as much as you can and it should be good. Either way you will see improvements.

No problem to have different size panels. You just have to maintain a relatively symmetrical setup, mainly for stereo imaging purposes. Don't place you speakers to one side or in a corner and you should be good.

alright, so i was indeed overthinking things.

as for speaker setup, i already did that....actually i moved to another room in the attic, which has laminate floor and slanted walls...which seems to be quite a good thing (standing waves etc). plus there's basically nothing in there except my audio stuff, a couch, and a small shelf, so moving stuff around to sit in the perfect listening position was an easy task.
downside is that it's hot as hell, esp. during the afternoon....i'm actually worried that it might damage my gear in the long run.
anyways, going off topic here.....
alright, thanks for the answers! guess now i'll finally have to get my ass up and build the damn things :D

oh, there's one more question: is there any sort of insulation material that i should definitely NOT use? i was going to check out my local DIY store tomorrow to see what kinda insulation stuff they got over there...

Ethan Winer has a problem with his eye-brows, if anyone's noticed. They're overly expressive. Check it out when you visit YouTube. Going back on topic, as mentioned earlier, use as much as possible but maintain proper symmetry. Also, I find broadband traps to be very mandatory.

Do this after your done with the basstraps, otherwise it won't work out: Go far right away from the listening position and 'clap' really hard with a lot of smack. You're likely to hear a 'slap echo' on the other side. If that happens, use 2 broadband traps to the left and right sides of your listening position.

I recently put up 12 basstraps (self-made) in my place, and I noticed this.

Cheers!

not really, because to be honest, i don't even remember what it was that he came off as being full of shit on...it's nothing on his site, though

i just remember him getting into a few big-ass flame wars on some other forums, and it was with some well-established engineers over generally accepted practices/beliefs regarding acoustic treatment

that, and every time i see the guy post something somewhere, his reply is always "you need more bass trapping! www.realtraps.com!"

not to say he isn't a smart and helpful guy...but to me, he sort of comes off as the used car salesman of the acoustic treatment world