Bassists: this guy is just amazing!

I've seen Sheehan live with Steve Vai, fucking kicked ass.
I love Stu Hamm too, his rendition of Moonlight Sonata is sex.

I am actually not that of a sheehan fan, his sound isn't my favorite and the stuff he plays, too, but I really like his technique.
Really diggin Jonas Hellborg at the moment, Stanley Clarke is cool, I really dig his upright bass stuff (and the "Thunder" CD with him, Victor Wooten and Marcus Miller is cool, more laid back and not "shreddy").

And this is really cool-Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen and Christian McBride:

and just look at this, Michael Manring with Sean Malone-Michael Manring is a total psycho, fretless 4 string with Drop Tuners on every string and he slaps and taps the living shit out of it...

And Malone alone:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvk7J7V2i8&NR=1[/ame]

And the whole Obscura "Cosmogenesis" album is full of sick shit, Jeroen plays some pretty cool stuff on his 6 string Warwick fretless thumb.

Oh and just to mention him-Erlend Caspersen, plays vor Vile and Spawn of Possession at the moment and played for Deeds of Flesh, Incinerate and like 10.000 other bands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe from Intronaut is one of my favorites in heavy music. Here's he and drummer Danny rehearsing a couple songs. Drummer is also amazing, so you get 2 for 1:

seems like he's playing a pedulla bass-heard one of those things live 2 times, really awesome sound (and great players and great amps...so that could help the sound ;) )

I am really diggin guys doing some "abnormal" stuff, like Les Claypool when he started slapping and tapping on a fretless (yeah, I don't think he was the first one but still it's cool) or guys that are tapping the most time.
There's some local punk band, their bass player plays a really fucked up fretless, everything modded, only one single coil that's besides the neck, some strange bridge and flatwound strings.
All in all it really sounds like an upright bass and he's slapping on that thing.
Don't like the overall sound of the band, they're not that popular actually in this area, but his style of playing bass and his sound is cool und very unique.

Holy shit, why didn't anyone mention the new Augury has already been out for weeks in Europe?
I found that out by stumbling upon it in a store, promptly exclaiming my joy and buying it together with new Behemoth and Suffocation.
Coincidentally, it's been released in the US today as well.

So, anybody heard it yet? I'm at track 3 right now and love it so far. Great basswork, cutting through nicely so you can hear the details. :)

BTW, James Murphy did the mastering... nice job!

What is the difference between a bass player and a pizza...

a pizza can feed a family of five.... Sorry, j/k these guys are all awesome!!

Joe from Intronaut is one of my favorites in heavy music. Here's he and drummer Danny rehearsing a couple songs. Drummer is also amazing, so you get 2 for 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78HcPSCn4U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb3MzJW6ax8

Joe is definitely one of my favourite metal bassists, he adds alot to the intronaut sound.The bass work on their last release was brilliant.

Gael Pirlot of canvas solaris is pretty cool as well.
@Narissa are you part of one of chris' side projects??

I see cheater marks on the top of the fretboard :D But he does play well and very creatively, impressive!

Best fretless metal guy I have heard is Obsurca's Jeroen Paul Thesselin...

ttytt steve digiorgio really pioneered fretless bass playing in metal and to this day some of the stuff he comes with is pretty crazy.