Battle of the bands - Round 2, match 6

Which band do you like better?

• Dark Tranquillity

Votes: 49 92.5%
  • Einherjer

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@mourning:Opeth is gonna kick everyone's ass when everyone comes from their board to vote for them.That is gonna be a very sad day for the other band

you didn't get my point, manuel. i wouldn't like a band to win like that; what i consider to be unfair for a band, is unfair for the others, too.

i've said all i had to say here, and i think i've been quite clear.

yeah I know what you meant but if we have some official forums from some of the bands listed here and someone hears about the polls the people are gonna come vote for their band no matter if it's fair or not
if Einherjer had a forum here maybe the match would have been a little closer at first

so please, everybody don't mention the next poll to anyone! we want no more than 20 votes on each round, or the whole statistical thingy will be messed up completely, because you know, the more the voters, the less reliable the results.

rahvin.

Originally posted by mourningstar
funny how someone can make some stupid irony pretending not to have understood.

yes, i know i could have had, but i went for the easy road instead.
i found no redeeming qualities in your statement that people from the chat forum alone are representative in a more balanced way, while people from the other boards aren't. there is absolutely nothing remotely representative in either group, but if the polls aim to point out which bands are most liked around here, voters from the official forums should be welcome to add their opinion. if you don't want to accept - for instance - that opeth are going to win because they've got more fans, you might also take the survey on people who don't like metal at all: surely their opinion would be absolutely unprejudiced against any specific band. but i thought this was about bands we like, not picking random numbers.

rahvin.

I think mourningstar's point has to do with getting an accurate sampling. The argument he uses to back it up is entirely self-defeating however.

but you can understand very well that here in the chat section we have what we can consider a representative sample
A representative sample? You must mean each band has a share of popularity here it would enjoy in the metal scene in general I assume? UM is the largest online metal community, so that is certainly a valid conclusion. You miss the fact that it doesn't matter if the sample is 20 chat forum regulars, or 200 members from across UM (besides the fact that the later is more precise).

If the sample is truly representative, then the proportional amount of votes wouldn't change, regardless of people coming from other forums. Let's say there are 4 Opeth fans for every DT fan, which is a valid conclusion based on the amount of votes polls on both forums generally get. If the sample on Chat was truly representative, then Opeth would beat DT 4:1. Denizens from these forums coming to vote would simply make the poll a more precise sampling.

next time i have to make a survey on "what's your favourite sport?" i'll go and interview half of the people in a swimming pool. i guess "gardening" will win.

au revoir.

@ormir: precisely. except of course if for some reasons the people in the chat forum are all marduk fans. in that case, however, the sample is also pretty flawed, regardless of how many spare parts i get to have for my nocturnal creations. :)

rahvin.

I believe that the whole point of this vote is to see who is the favourite band of Chat forum regulars. By getting so many people from the DT forum to vote, any future result is not a true reflection of that. But of course, you already knew this.

Originally posted by Ormir
You miss the fact that it doesn't matter if the sample is 20 chat forum regulars, or 200 members from across UM (besides the fact that the later is more precise).
ormir, don't get me wrong, but i know statistics probably better than you think. what you're saying is right only if we forget that people (the ones who usually don't vote for the other matches) were coming from just one board.

now i'm sorry but i really have to go, i have a lesson in 1 hour.

Originally posted by Ormir
True, but when you have such a fateful name as "Battle of the bands" it's hard not to get involved. :p
I didn't realise the "Battle" part was meant to be taken so literally. :p

well, i for once have voted on all rounds. i'm sorry i messed up your statistics by actually coming from the dt board this time. for the next round i plan to spend some "decontamination" time on the soilwork forum right before voting. :p

rahvin.

Originally posted by Mourningstar
next time i have to make a survey on "what's your favourite sport?" i'll go and interview half of the people in a swimming pool. i guess "gardening" will win.

You've got to either laugh or admire the magnanamous stupidity of people who don't undestand this. A reflection on Dark Tranquillity fans (fans of a band who can't spell their own name, I might add)? Nah, the biggest and most damning reflection upon them is that they like Dark Tranquillity's music :D

Hmmm this argument got pretty big in a matter of posts
maybe it was unfair for einherjer when the people from the DT board came here(I am not a regular there but I spend some posts in that board) but let's face it that a lot of people may not be regulars to the Chat forum but stop for a while from time to time and see something like: Battle of the Bands round.... is quite catchy.
And there's no way to keep it just for the Chat forum regulars,if the band has their forum here,as I stated before,it's likely that they will crush the other band if they don't have a forum or not so crowded.
Maybe the polls should be via e-mail only to anyone who has more than 100 posts in the Chat forum that way the results will only be made from the Chat forum people
(and if anyone is gonna call me an idiot at least be nice about it)
:lol:

As I said in my PM to mourningstar (I hope you don't mind me airing it publicly):

In a way it sucks, but I'm not a policeman, and at least it's all staying in the UM community. It would have been nice to get a representation from the "regulars" on the Chat board, but at least there is the potential in later rounds for it to balance out (ie. say Opeth vs. Dark Tranquillity).

I ran a similar contest a few months back on the Anthrax board, but left Anthrax off purposely since it was obviously a biased forum. At least here, there is the potential for less bias.

Oh, and manuelgv, you're a nice idiot. :lol: :lol: