Battlestar Galactica goes metal?!

Rose Immortal

Spirit of Hope
Jun 19, 2004
I don't know who here watches the new Battlestar Galactica--and who here is nerdy enough to admit they've purchased the soundtracks to Seasons 1 and 2. But there's a song on the Season 2 disc at the very end titled "Black Market" (from the episode by that name) that is absolutely metal. So metal that it had to be exiled to the end of the disc. And if you know what the "typical" Battlestar Galactica music sounds like, you'll understand why.

Anyway, this song flat-out ROCKS. Enough that I sent an e-mail to the composer, Bear McCreary, and told him (among the usual congratulatory remarks) that he ought to check out prog metal, especially Orphaned Land.

Anybody else heard this and is brave enough to admit the nerd they are?

I'm a huge fan of Star Trek: TNG, I watch it every day along with Seinfeld (My other favorite show.)

I'm a huge nerd when it comes to sci-fi and fantasy/fiction as well as anything that has to do with computers.

Heck yes I watch it. My favorite show (except Seinfeld of course). Care to take a guess where I'll be this Friday at 9:00 :kickass:

Reactions: Rose Immortal
I'm a big fan as well.

Keep in mind, Baltar ended up commanding the Cylons in the original series.

Yep, and that does make me wonder. Even if he's not physiologically a Cylon, those hallucinations (projecting?) have got to be coming from somewhere, considering Caprica-Six has them too.

I think the single biggest arguement for why Baltar isn't a cylon is that if he were, there would be no reason to have the number six on him with caprica to steal the info. Baltar could have done it himself as an infiltrator or as a sleeper. That of course leads to the question of how he survived the initial attack in the first place, which was never really explained to my satisfaction... :rolleyes:

I think the single biggest arguement for why Baltar isn't a cylon is that if he were, there would be no reason to have the number six on him with caprica to steal the info. Baltar could have done it himself as an infiltrator or as a sleeper. That of course leads to the question of how he survived the initial attack in the first place, which was never really explained to my satisfaction... :rolleyes:

Well, it's tough to tell. As I read at the Battlestar Wiki, there were survivors of the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombings at shockingly close range who for whatever reason didn't have a whole lot of damage.

Of course, Baltar could also be a sleeper agent of sorts, like Boomer was...perhaps even a more advanced model than the current seven.

I'm not really arguing, though--I can see good reasons for either theory.

I watch that show but i am not a fan, cause there are a lot of nonsense going on in it. Why the hell all the people in the show act like Americans ? I don't get it. I cherish Star Trek in all the sci-fi series. Gene Roddenberry was a man beyond his time, even today his ideas still are...

The reason everone is portrayed as Americans is because America is the primary audience. They speak English (instead of the Colonial language) and use common jargon so that we can understand them. If you just think of the show as a translation of "reality" in the Battlestar Galactica universe, then it makes sense.

Personally, I can't stand Star Trek. Mind numbing gak. 22 minutes of "The Zubarian Death Ray is going to destroy the Enterprise!" and 30 seconds of "Oh, well let's just configure the emitter to release Quixelpleg particles to counteract the effects." "Whew! Close call!" The remaining time being just filler. Ugh.

In comparison, BSG has infinitely less scientific nonsense than Star Trek.

I disagree. Star Trek is great, just yesterday I watched the episode where Data recited poetry that he wrote in an attempt to become more human, I pretty much laughed my ass off.

Not only is it interesting, it's also chuckle-worthy on several occasions.

Battlestar Galactica is a great show
a bit of Distortion would have been nice during the Aerial battles,

I'm not a big fan of star trek
though i think babylon 5 was best sci-fi series out there

They speak English (instead of the Colonial language) and use common jargon so that we can understand them.
I think Turke's point was that sci-fi shows tend to reflects futuristic cultures that essentially are the US and share the same values and virtues, not just that the actors are from the US.

I think Turke's point was that sci-fi shows tend to reflects futuristic cultures that essentially are the US and share the same values and virtues, not just that the actors are from the US.

Isn't that largely a product of where the show is produced though? If it were produced outside of the U.S. I imagine it would reflect the culture present in the country it was being produced.

I'm American and I still love Father Ted to death, the fact that it was produced elsewhere has little or no bearing on my enjoyment of the show. Maybe it's not quite the same but I wouldn't necessarily think that that one aspect of the show would render it unwatchable.

I just recently got hooked on BSG this season, seems like a great show, but I can't always follow what's going on as I haven't kept up with it in the past.

I'm American and I still love Father Ted to death,

Feck Ohff! :lol:

I love Father Ted! Last night I watched League of Gentlemen - another favorite of mine. :worship:

theVikingR said:

Absolutely. As a side fact, the guys who play Apollo and Baltar are British. Number Six, Helo, Tyrol, Doc Cottle, Kat, Cally, Billy,Col. and Mrs. Tigh, and the Priest are all Canadians. Dualla is South African. Lucy Lawless is a New Zealander. The argument that futuristic cultures are reflected as the US culture will hopefully be factual since the US is one of the most global cultures in the world. I went to college in Southern Illinois with people from multiple countries in Africa, almost all European countries, almost all of the Mideastern countries, almost all of the Asian countries, and a few of the SouPac countries.

Absolutely. As a side fact, the guys who play Apollo and Baltar are British. Number Six, Helo, Tyrol, Doc Cottle, Kat, Cally, Billy,Col. and Mrs. Tigh, and the Priest are all Canadians. Dualla is South African. Lucy Lawless is a New Zealander. The argument that futuristic cultures are reflected as the US culture will hopefully be factual since the US is one of the most global cultures in the world. I went to college in Southern Illinois with people from multiple countries in Africa, almost all European countries, almost all of the Mideastern countries, almost all of the Asian countries, and a few of the SouPac countries.
The nationality of the actors doesn't change the script though ;)

Personally I hope no future society could be significantly represented by any single culture that exists today. No culture has achieved anywhere near a desirable balance of rights, freedom, morals and social welfare, regardless of how global it may appear.

The US is not alone in the ethnic diversity of its college students. A cynical view as to the cause for this is that a significant portion of lecturers' salaries comes from the high tuition fees colleges charge foreign students, which are often several times those of domestic students.