Battlestar Galactica goes metal?!

A cynical view as to the cause for this is that a significant portion of lecturers' salaries comes from the high tuition fees colleges charge foreign students

I'm confused by this. Wouldn't you expect fewer foreign students if the tuition fees were unfairly balanced?

which are often several times those of domestic students.

Actually, all state colleges charge higher fees for non-"domestic" students. Keep in mind that "domestic", in this case, means not a resident of that state (regardless of nationality). I had to pay more tuition as a Missouri resident than Illinois residents when I went to SIU.

And many of those students stay and become US citizens thereby further diversifying our "melting pot." :)

And admittedly, our country's government and governance are far from perfect - but they're better than anything else I've seen. And I think that that is attributable TO the diverse nature of our culture. Immigrants have come to our country knowing what they didn't like about their government and have helped to mold ours.

Of course there are some things that won't change without a major cultural revolution, but in comparison to the problems other nations are having, I can't complain.

Reactions: theVikingR
Oops, I see that did sound a bit odd :eek: Looks like I got my points mixed up. I'll rephrase:

Many universities and colleges encourage international students to study there because they can charge higher fees. While this may sound like it would discourage international students, a degree from a good US or European university is perceived to be more significant on an international level and studying abroad is certainly a good life experience. That is enough to tempt plenty of foreign students over, but only those with enough money to pay for the increased fees and accommodation.

This makes for a bad example of a country being multi-cultural because it's unbalanced representation since only the affluent minority (or those with scholarships) can study abroad, and only reflects students and not the population as a whole. It is also a situation that is not unique to the US, but to many educational establishments in the "western world".

Furthermore, other factors may contribute to increased numbers of international students. For example, countries such as China, which is developing rapidly and doesn't have as many well established colleges is only too happy to send undergraduates westward in order to make use of the educational facilities and then use their training to further its own economy: although there may be foreign students abroad, that doesn't make it their home beyond college education.

As for governance, Scandinavian countries fare rather better than others I have seen, although lack in terms of cultural diversity.

I watch that show but i am not a fan, cause there are a lot of nonsense going on in it. Why the hell all the people in the show act like Americans ? I don't get it. I cherish Star Trek in all the sci-fi series. Gene Roddenberry was a man beyond his time, even today his ideas still are...

The show was written in America, and I think the producers are making a deliberate effort for at least large parts of the viewing audience to be able to identify with it in a way you can't with Star Trek. To me, the fact that they seem to act like Americans and show the same cultural values is similar to having them drive around Caprica in Jeeps or using other everyday items that we would be familiar with. At least if it's reminding you of America, then it's reminding you of something on this planet, which is what I think the producers intend.

I enjoy Star Trek.. my favorites being the first one with captain James T. Kirk and the one with Data and Jean Luc Piccard !
I remember when I was about 7 or 8 years old watching my dad's old beta max tapes full of recorded star trek episodes ! this was in 98 and he set up the beta max because my mother wanted to watch mary poppins which we had recorded on a beta max tape.. then my dad decided for us to watch Star Wars ! After all the Star Trek, Star Wars amazed me.. I quickly fell in love with sci-fi lol
I also love the movie Logan's Run ! I saw that a year ago and adore it.. ' WE'VE GOT A RUNNER ! ' haha.. how do some of these writers make this stuff up ? Its great and really interesting !

I also love the movie Logan's Run ! I saw that a year ago and adore it.. ' WE'VE GOT A RUNNER ! ' haha.. how do some of these writers make this stuff up ? Its great and really interesting !

I remember seeing Logan's Run when it came out (on TV - it wasn't at the theaters) and I think that might be the movie that got me hooked on post-apocalyptic scenarios.

I just found out why human race is acting like Americans in this show. Let me tell ya. In the last episode i saw, one of the Cylons said "there is only one god". But we know that human race in the show believes in multiple gods refered as "Cobol gods".

Now call me too skeptic or whatever, but i claim that the creators of this show have their very tricky way of touching the sensitive feelings of American people. Are you curious ? OK read on :)

I think, Cylons are referred as "muslim terrorists" (i hate that term) deep down in the show. You know, in islam, there is only one god (like the Cylons claim). And i think, there is that thing called "trilogy" in Christianity. Father, son and the holy spirit. Now i don't know what you think, but i say we can call this trilogy like the "cobol gods" :) No offence. And yeah, i know cobol gods in the show are ancient greek gods in mythology, but anyway.

Cylons... We know that they are "so human" even normal humans can't know the difference. I remember a cylon made a "suicide attack" to the Galactica in one episode. Now stop there. He made a suicide attack for what he was programmed (believed in) and we all know what it evokes in American people. And the cylon fighters. They have flesh in them. They live. And they are programmed to do one thing. Destroying the human race (America).

The interesting part is, the human race claims that "they created the cylons". And more interesting is that, Cylons claim that they are sent by the "only"
god to punish the humans. You got the point :)

Now all this might sound absurd to you, but i am sure as the show progresses, we will see many different references of the so called "religion wars". But if you ask me, this is just another cheap shot like the "24" just to make benefit from the terrorism fear of American people. This is not science fiction. This is an insult to science fiction.

PS: I know that this show is a remake of the original Battlestar Galactica, but i don't know what original Battlestar is all about, so i am only talking about "this" show. The new one.

Yeah man you totally hit the nail on the head... :Smug:

The original BSG was also based on the struggle between man and cylon. I don't know how you can say this show is an insult to science fiction just because they try to keep it modern. I thought it was pretty obvious that they were taking a different twist on current events with the whole badass sci-fi style. At the same time, it's not like they're trying to be political about it or make a statement, it's all in good fun and really they don't reference to it that much. It's right now one of the highest rated television shows on the air, and quite possibly the best sci-fi series ever created (along with Firefly).

I think, Cylons are referred as "muslim terrorists" (i hate that term) deep down in the show. You know, in islam, there is only one god (like the Cylons claim). And i think, there is that thing called "trilogy" in Christianity. Father, son and the holy spirit. Now i don't know what you think, but i say we can call this trilogy like the "cobol gods" :) No offence. And yeah, i know cobol gods in the show are ancient greek gods in mythology, but anyway.

Cylons... We know that they are "so human" even normal humans can't know the difference. I remember a cylon made a "suicide attack" to the Galactica in one episode. Now stop there. He made a suicide attack for what he was programmed (believed in) and we all know what it evokes in American people. And the cylon fighters. They have flesh in them. They live. And they are programmed to do one thing. Destroying the human race (America).

While that might seem like a parallel on the very surface, I think you're a little bit off. There were some episodes shown on the Internet between Seasons 2 and 3 where the Colonists were detonating suicide bombs against the Cylons, storing weapons in their temple because the Cylons until then had been respecting their holy sites, and other things that the U.S. has accused the Muslim extremists of doing. Did you happen to watch those episodes? I believe they may still be available on SciFi.com. It's very interesting to hear Tigh and Roslin debate the ethics of that.

The point there is, were it strictly a parallel of America that were as simplistic as you claim, you would not have "Americans" retaliating with suicide bombs as they do.

I'm not convinced that the Cylons are intended to imitate JUST Islam. Remember the actions of the medieval Christian church--I think the writers of the show may have BOTH crusades and jihad in mind. As to what the writer of the show has said, he stated that the religion of Cobol was intended to be completely polytheistic--worshipping many gods in the way of Greek, Norse, and Hindu religions. If anything, you could actually see a comment about how the Judeo-Christian religions (all three of them) became hell-bent on the destruction of the religions that came before them, that worshipped many gods.

I have one last point for you to remember. I apologize if it's a little bitter, but I feel I must say it. You accuse Americans of always leaping to the fear of terrorism and seeing everything that way to the point where they cannot see individuals in Muslim countries. Do not do the same to us--always seeing everything through the lens of how Americans MUST be evil, to where you cannot see individual people or situations--or you become exactly what you don't like.

Uh, dude. There are many religions where there is only one god. Hmmm... even the Christian religion. The trinity does NOT refer to 3 gods. It's the same God worshipped by Jews and Muslims - maybe not the same tenents, but the same God.

Maybe they are saying "the Cylons are us" like Romero saying his zombies are us. But no, it's easier to accuse them of being propagandists.

Then again, maybe it's a freakin' television show based on a TV show from the 70's which is, in turn, based on old westerns? But no, that's too obvious.

Reactions: Beelzebub
I'm with Fossil Records on this one - any similarities are purely coincidental. Besides, most stories like this are about some sort of struggle against an enemy, hidden or otherwise, and that has been the case in the myths, legends and folklore of pretty much all cultures.

If anything "capitalising on terrorism" isn't exploiting peoples' fears, but retouching old stories with a contemporary and relevant brush.

While that might seem like a parallel on the very surface, I think you're a little bit off. There were some episodes shown on the Internet between Seasons 2 and 3 where the Colonists were detonating suicide bombs against the Cylons, storing weapons in their temple because the Cylons until then had been respecting their holy sites, and other things that the U.S. has accused the Muslim extremists of doing. Did you happen to watch those episodes? I believe they may still be available on SciFi.com. It's very interesting to hear Tigh and Roslin debate the ethics of that.

The point there is, were it strictly a parallel of America that were as simplistic as you claim, you would not have "Americans" retaliating with suicide bombs as they do.

I'm not convinced that the Cylons are intended to imitate JUST Islam. Remember the actions of the medieval Christian church--I think the writers of the show may have BOTH crusades and jihad in mind. As to what the writer of the show has said, he stated that the religion of Cobol was intended to be completely polytheistic--worshipping many gods in the way of Greek, Norse, and Hindu religions. If anything, you could actually see a comment about how the Judeo-Christian religions (all three of them) became hell-bent on the destruction of the religions that came before them, that worshipped many gods.

I have one last point for you to remember. I apologize if it's a little bitter, but I feel I must say it. You accuse Americans of always leaping to the fear of terrorism and seeing everything that way to the point where they cannot see individuals in Muslim countries. Do not do the same to us--always seeing everything through the lens of how Americans MUST be evil, to where you cannot see individual people or situations--or you become exactly what you don't like.

You don't know me. You misjudge me. Then you come up and accuse me of not knowing and misjudging you :) Now that's funny. If i think what you claim, so what the hell am i doing in this forum ? Just think about it.

Read my post again and please tell me, can you see anything that means an accusation for anybody. "I don't accuse anybody for anything." All i talk about is the resemblances of a TV show and the terorism stuff going on in America. I just say, some profit makers are using the fear of terorism as a profit source. There are a bunch of movies, series etc. just about the subject "terorism" so please don't tell me that american people don't care about terorism. Every cause of action of president Bush has taken has the word "terrorism" in it. So if you still say that american people don't care about terorism, i have the right to ask you "so who elected this party as your representative ?". I am very sorry this thing came to this point, but you forced me to get here. All i was talking about is a freaking TV show.

And, Fossil (happy about the name ? :) ),
About Christianity, i know it is the same god for christians, jews and muslims. But i always see christians are praying for Jesus Christ. Now that bugs my mind, so i think Jesus is being used as a tool for reaching god. So that makes him half god or something :) Well i don't know, never mind.
By the way, let me tell you, all muslims accept Jesus and Moses as prophets of god, and respect them.

I am really sorry but i can't sit and keep quiet when somebody accuses me of something i didn't even think about.

And, Fossil (happy about the name ? ),

It's the name of my record label.

But i always see christians are praying for Jesus Christ. Now that bugs my mind, so i think Jesus is being used as a tool for reaching god. So that makes him half god or something :)

No, he's considered the "Son of God" to Christians. He is no different in his "tool-ness" or his earthliness than Muhammad. Jesus was originally considered to be a prophet as Muhammad is, but was later considered to be messianic (in other words, the one prophesized about).

And, with regard to your comments to Rose Immortal, I do not believe that you understand how American politics work or how your average (ie. not a sycophantic radio personality) American feels. Your average American does not think about terrorism on a daily basis. I work for the military and even I don't think about terrorism on a daily basis (or weekly, or monthly...). Politics is COMPLETELY different than life. Unfortunately, politics and political "leaders" are the ones who get the soundbites and whose comments go around the world in 80 seconds - possibly changing to fit the sycophantic radio or TV personality's agenda.

Your average American gets up in the morning, goes to work, goes home, works at home, hopes to have an hour to play with the kids, goes to bed, and the whole process starts again. Most of us are consistently concerned about one thing - can I get the job done (whether that job is at work, paying the bills, etc.). Many of us on this forum try to get a little guitar playing done in between playing with the kids and going to bed, but most of the time it doesn't happen (maybe that's just me).

We're sickened by the atrocities carried out in the name of religion, but to imply that we're - as a people - "in fear of terrorism" is far overstating fact.

It's the name of my record label.

No, he's considered the "Son of God" to Christians. He is no different in his "tool-ness" or his earthliness than Muhammad. Jesus was originally considered to be a prophet as Muhammad is, but was later considered to be messianic (in other words, the one prophesized about).

And, with regard to your comments to Rose Immortal, I do not believe that you understand how American politics work or how your average (ie. not a sycophantic radio personality) American feels. Your average American does not think about terrorism on a daily basis. I work for the military and even I don't think about terrorism on a daily basis (or weekly, or monthly...). Politics is COMPLETELY different than life. Unfortunately, politics and political "leaders" are the ones who get the soundbites and whose comments go around the world in 80 seconds - possibly changing to fit the sycophantic radio or TV personality's agenda.

Your average American gets up in the morning, goes to work, goes home, works at home, hopes to have an hour to play with the kids, goes to bed, and the whole process starts again. Most of us are consistently concerned about one thing - can I get the job done (whether that job is at work, paying the bills, etc.). Many of us on this forum try to get a little guitar playing done in between playing with the kids and going to bed, but most of the time it doesn't happen (maybe that's just me).

We're sickened by the atrocities carried out in the name of religion, but to imply that we're - as a people - "in fear of terrorism" is far overstating fact.

Pretty much the same life going on here. But you people insist on not understanding me :) Well i'll give it a shot. In my country, comedy films are so popular. So most of the movies that made are usually comedy movies. Because it sells. Comedy sells, so make comedy films. Simple isn't it ? Now i say, take out the comedy and put terrorism in the place. Does it sell ? Damn sure. So terrorism sells, make terrorism movies, series etc.

Not only in america. By the term terrorism, you only think about your own. There are many countries in the world struggling with different types of terrorism. One of them is mine. And we see a lot of tv shows with "guns" in peoples hands, shooting all around. Because it sells. So if it sells, it is good :) TV logic.

Did i make myself clear ?

PS: Peace sells, but who's buying ? :)

You don't know me. You misjudge me. Then you come up and accuse me of not knowing and misjudging you :) Now that's funny. If i think what you claim, so what the hell am i doing in this forum ? Just think about it.

Read my post again and please tell me, can you see anything that means an accusation for anybody. "I don't accuse anybody for anything." All i talk about is the resemblances of a TV show and the terorism stuff going on in America. I just say, some profit makers are using the fear of terorism as a profit source. There are a bunch of movies, series etc. just about the subject "terorism" so please don't tell me that american people don't care about terorism. Every cause of action of president Bush has taken has the word "terrorism" in it. So if you still say that american people don't care about terorism, i have the right to ask you "so who elected this party as your representative ?". I am very sorry this thing came to this point, but you forced me to get here. All i was talking about is a freaking TV show.

No, I think you still misunderstand, at least when it comes to Battlestar Galactica. The whole point of that show is that things are more complex than what one side OR the other says they are. Otherwise, you wouldn't have both sides using suicide bombers. Hell, the Colonists almost commit their own genocide. Why it didn't happen I won't spoil, but suffice it to say it wasn't the commanders that stopped it.

The whole point of the show as I've seen it is to make people think about what both sides are seeing and experiencing, not to capitalize on one side or the other. What it shows is that ALL groups of people think and do ugly things, and as soon as people start placing all of the blame on one side or the other, they lose sight of the big picture. That's what makes me angry, is that it seems you only want to see one side. To you it's Americans doing something wrong just by writing a TV show that happens to relate to current events. Why is blame your first impulse--especially when we're talking about "a freaking TV show," as you put it? It would be just as wrong to forbid us to write or speak anything about it. And personally, don't you think that works of fiction are a good way for people to think through issues? Things that encourage more reflection are usually a good thing in my book.

Obviously the American people are concerned about terrorism. Are we a very big target? Yes. But does that mean I'm not concerned about it in other places? No. I know that your country has been attacked as well and that seriously sucks. Nobody should have to put up with their crap.

Personally, I can't stand Star Trek. Mind numbing gak. 22 minutes of "The Zubarian Death Ray is going to destroy the Enterprise!" and 30 seconds of "Oh, well let's just configure the emitter to release Quixelpleg particles to counteract the effects." "Whew! Close call!" The remaining time being just filler. Ugh.
*High Five* for that post.
I do enjoy the movies, though, and the characters are really cool.